Soaking Russian Hatchlings...Have Questions.

Location (City and/or State)
Omaha, Nebraska
Can someone please tell me the actual temperature the water should be for soaking Russian hatchlings? It's surprisingly difficult to get a concrete answer online.

I can find all kinds of sources that use terms like "lukewarm" or "room temperature" or "tepid" water, but I can't seem to find an actual temperature. It'd be very helpful if someone can provide a temperature range for me.

I use a highly accurate temp gun to check the water before soaking them. I've been putting them in water that is typically around 90-95 degrees because that's my own personal definition of lukewarm water, but I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm if that's a good range.

I just want to make sure that I'm not overheating them by sticking them in the equivalent of a hot tub for them, but I also don't want them to be freezing the whole time either.

Sa Ga

MN
Room temp is waaay too cold at my house (74°). Morla loves it lukewarm, but just a touch more cool than warm. (Think of when you jump into a pool and after you acclimate, it still feels refreshing bc though it's warm and no chill, it still has a slight coolness felt to it; unlike on really hot days when you jump into the pool and it feels warm...and stays feeling that way. Not a cool refreshing undertone at all.)

I will run it over my hand as it comes out of the faucet. If it feels lukewarm but there's just that hint of coolness, it is perfect. If I put my hand in it once it's sitting in her soak tray and it feels cold at all, it is too cold and she gets still a.d zombie like rather than relaxed but still alert.

Unfortunately I don't know a temp for that...and it does need to be maintained throughout her soak (I'll just add a ladle of warm water as needed).

Omaha, Nebraska
This is helpful. I actually don't maintain the temp throughout the soak, so I'll have to start doing that. I usually get the water close to 95 on the temp gun and then take them out when it gets down to around 85 degrees, but that means I can usually only soak them for 10 minutes.

I can't believe it never occurred to me to just add a little more water...lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can someone please tell me the actual temperature the water should be for soaking Russian hatchlings?

85-95, and do the soak somewhere warm, like in the enclosure, so the water stays warm the whole time. Or you can periodically replace the water with warmer water. I like longer soaks of 40-60 minutes, but 20-30 minutes is enough.

Sa Ga

MN
85-95, and do the soak somewhere warm, like in the enclosure, so the water stays warm the whole time. Or you can periodically replace the water with warmer water. I like longer soaks of 40-60 minutes, but 20-30 minutes is enough.
Don't you poop too much then, Tom? ?

Kipley

Seattle, WA
I've been soaking my Redfoot and Sulcata pup at 95 degrees as well. I change the water every 8-10 minutes (because the Sulcata poops that often).

I was told by the Facebook experts that 95 was far too hot, and that I was "par boiling" my tortoise. LOL.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been soaking my Redfoot and Sulcata pup at 95 degrees as well. I change the water every 8-10 minutes (because the Sulcata poops that often).

I was told by the Facebook experts that 95 was far too hot, and that I was "par boiling" my tortoise. LOL.
Right. Genius people over there. I guess I've now parboiled 1000s of babies tortoises and by some miracle each and every one has not only survived, but also grown up, reached maturity and started reproducing. It must be divine intervention that has been saving 1000s of babies from a hot, watery grave that I'm inflicting upon them.

How can they much such stupid statements when the evidence to directly refute what they say is right in front of them?

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Can someone please tell me the actual temperature the water should be for soaking Russian hatchlings? It's surprisingly difficult to get a concrete answer online.

I can find all kinds of sources that use terms like "lukewarm" or "room temperature" or "tepid" water, but I can't seem to find an actual temperature. It'd be very helpful if someone can provide a temperature range for me.

I use a highly accurate temp gun to check the water before soaking them. I've been putting them in water that is typically around 90-95 degrees because that's my own personal definition of lukewarm water, but I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm if that's a good range.

I just want to make sure that I'm not overheating them by sticking them in the equivalent of a hot tub for them, but I also don't want them to be freezing the whole time either.
99 if you need a number. I used to be a maniac with the heat gun. Now, if the water feels comfortable to me, it’s good for Ms Shell. She loves her baths!