soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a question for anyone that could answer for me; I have a 7 pound sulcata named Morris and it says only to soak them 2 times a week for 15 mins. Morris loves to soak and spreads out flat and will stay in there until I make him come out; The water is warm; Is there such a thing as soaking them too much and if so what is the danger;
Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know what "it" is, but if your guy likes to soak, let him. There's nothing wrong with soaking...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Especially if he can get in and out of the water himself, I think that's great. Can you leave out water in a way for him to self-soak, or is not possible due to the enclosure or size of the tort?

I have a little tort, but he started going in his water on his own when I got an accessible bowl and kept it warm by placing it near a basking lamp.

Twice a week for 15 minutes seems more on the edge of a minimum or suggested time for torts that don't like it.

mwindman

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Especially if he can get in and out of the water himself, I think that's great. Can you leave out water in a way for him to self-soak, or is not possible due to the enclosure or size of the tort?

I have a little tort, but he started going in his water on his own when I got an accessible bowl and kept it warm by placing it near a basking lamp.

Twice a week for 15 minutes seems more on the edge of a minimum or suggested time for torts that don't like it.

He has a place in his indoor area and outdoor area for soaking but perfers the kitchen sink; He lets me know when he wants out; Thank you for the advise I thought he was just unusual;

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If he seems to enjoy it, I would allow him to soak as often as he wants. The reason you've heard not to soak too often is because soaking makes them poop and pee and soaking too often allows the food to pass through before all the nutrients have been processed.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.