Soakings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TandM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
When I give my Greek tort Bowser her soakings she always seems to stick her head under water and blow a few bubbles and then make a weird noise. Is this normal? The water depth is quite shallow as it doesn't go past the bottom of her shell on the back legs, so it isn't like she is drowning. It's seems intentional but it freaks me out everytime. Is this a normal behavior when giving soakings?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Totally normal....the water should be at a depth that allows them to dunk their head (including nostrils) into the water...they can sit in that position for a long time (up to 15 minutes at times) and if you watch closely their neck you will see them take in the water by the in and out motion of their neck (gulping/swallowing)....:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Totally normal... some of them appear to be attempting to drown themselves as they dip their heads completely under

Torts can absorb water through their skin, so the water needs to be deep enough to come up over the plastron and get to the skin on their legs :)

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
I am glad I read this , as I panicked. Did not know how deep or shallow to have the water, only prob, water kept going cold so i freaked got them out. Was the first time, so tomorrow I wont be so worried and they can have a long soak in the bath ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.