Social distancing activities

McKell

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Great thread!

I've been reading a lot lately, cooking a lot lately, doing a bit of writing (what's going on is throwing me out of my most productive headspace... something I have to get passed), and am about to start a new project:

Building a PVC-pipe greenhouse for my tortoises, to extend their outside season

I've worked up the plans for a 12'X10' by 4'high greenhouse using the Home Depot app on my phone, and have all the materials in an online shopping cart... once I place the order, they'll have the stuff ready for me on a cart ready to go later that same day which should minimize my exposure-time out in the plague zone of NH.

We're not on lockdown yet, so I'm hoping to get the stuff tomorrow or Monday, before the order comes down from the Governor.

Jamie
What plants are you putting in the greenhouse for your torts? I have a marginated and I just started a smaller indoor gardening project to add more variety to his diet and fill my time during the quarantine so far I have carrots and a variety of greens growing but I am getting seeds delivered and would like to add even more.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
What plants are you putting in the greenhouse for your torts? I have a marginated and I just started a smaller indoor gardening project to add more variety to his diet and fill my time during the quarantine so far I have carrots and a variety of greens growing but I am getting seeds delivered and would like to add even more.
I was unclear, sorry, the greenhouse will serve to warm up chilly NH mornings and evenings a bit so that I can get my Tortoise outside into their outside runs earlier... not have to wait until June.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just went to the park to do some bite work with my puppies. I figured it would be a ghost town. Nope. Dozens of people out for a stroll. Lots of families and couples. Such a nice day right now, but expecting rain in a couple of hours. I guess everybody is feeling the need to get out of the house. The parks are much less crowded when people do their regular routines...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always been a sort of recluse - I don't talk to my neighbors, don't see family (and my daughter only livres a half mile from me), don't leave the house but one day a week. But I do walk a mile around and around the pasture daily, and visit with my tortoises, and play with the kittens!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I am home schooling my kids. One in kindergarten and one in high school.. I’m still working from home but that’s not enough to fill my day.. I’m getting my horses ( and myself) back in shape and spending lots of time at the deer lease. Getting back in sync with my alpha max... doing a bit of fishing.... giving ALL my critters a bit extra;-)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Tennis on the nice days and Tom saw it- Pocahontas Park had folks double parking! Today my wife saw a group of young guys playing flag football on the soccer field-hmmm kinda opposite of social distancing! In my neighborhood it’s adult with adult drinks walking the younger family units!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am home schooling my kids. One in kindergarten and one in high school.. I’m still working from home but that’s not enough to fill my day.. I’m getting my horses ( and myself) back in shape and spending lots of time at the deer lease. Getting back in sync with my alpha max... doing a bit of fishing.... giving ALL my critters a bit extra;-)
What is a deer lease? Alpha max?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I came across this on Amazon; maybe I've finally found an excuse to buy a melting furnace. Start making copper "soap" bars instead of just scrapping.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Great thread!

I've been reading a lot lately, cooking a lot lately, doing a bit of writing (what's going on is throwing me out of my most productive headspace... something I have to get passed), and am about to start a new project:

Building a PVC-pipe greenhouse for my tortoises, to extend their outside season

I've worked up the plans for a 12'X10' by 4'high greenhouse using the Home Depot app on my phone, and have all the materials in an online shopping cart... once I place the order, they'll have the stuff ready for me on a cart ready to go later that same day which should minimize my exposure-time out in the plague zone of NH.

We're not on lockdown yet, so I'm hoping to get the stuff tomorrow or Monday, before the order comes down from the Governor.

Jamie

You have to be careful with those pvc greenhouses - they're a gateway to other advanced pvc structures.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
What is a deer lease? Alpha max?
The deer lease is the wooded acreage that we lease for hunting, tracking, atv riding, etc.... The alpha max is my compound bow;~}. I love archery and used to shoot tournaments but that’s one hobby that’s been neglected for several years... we have a major wild hog problem here so combining some of my favorite hobbies to thin the population and make up for the shortage in meat seems like a win win for me;-)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The deer lease is the wooded acreage that we lease for hunting, tracking, atv riding, etc.... The alpha max is my compound bow;~}. I love archery and used to shoot tournaments but that’s one hobby that’s been neglected for several years... we have a major wild hog problem here so combining some of my favorite hobbies to thin the population and make up for the shortage in meat seems like a win win for me;-)
All of that sounds fantastic. If I lived anywhere near you, I'd go with!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Wow you guys have some great activities!
I'm still working but am otherwise staying home and have lots more free time. I can't go to the pottery studio I usually go to so I just set up my own studio in my garage. I don't have a kiln but I'll just make stuff and fire it when the studio is open again. Here's the bowls I make:
image.jpg
And the finished product:
image.jpg
And here's a fun plant pot:
image.jpg

My boyfriend is stuck at home and is making a website where people can play "Apples to Apples" and "Cards Against Humanity" remotely with friends. If anyone is interested I can send ya a link when it's finished.

This slower pace of life is a nice silver lining for me. Feels great to have more free time!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This slower pace of life is a nice silver lining for me. Feels great to have more free time!

I'm enjoying all the free time too. I'm fine for a while, but the money thing will eventually be a problem. In the meantime, I'm getting in some good relaxation and playing with all my animals.

turtlebean

Connecticut
I've been using the extra time to go to the range and practice my shooting drills. Getting some great times with all the practice. Its a private member's only range and each member has their own key. Most of the time I am the only one there. If another member is actually there, we each pick a different range to shoot at.

I re-did the forks and shock on my motocross bike, and intend the ride the hell out of it if it ever stops raining here. There is a big track with jumps and berms in the area where my ranch is, so I don't have to go anywhere for this.

I've been putting one or two batteries through my drone every day too. Having tremendous fun with that.

I bought an RC plane to fly around. That was fun until I had a bit of a hard landing on a windy day. Gotta replace a micro servo for the rudder, and then it will be ready to fly again.

I'm not used to having this much "free' time.

Uh Tom! How have I read so many of your posts on this forum and not known you are into dirtbikes!! That is amazing! I actually came on here to share how dirtbiking is possibly the best social distancing activity ever lol.

Now that CT is pretty much shut down, all i’ve been doing is trail riding! There are some insanely technical trails around my house and neighborhood so that’s what’s been keeping me busy! Not really any good tracks in my area that are close, so I’ll have to wait until later in the spring to travel to those. I’ll post a pic of my bike below! Still a little tall for me, but i’m working on it!B53F6697-9388-4F98-8912-DBE237627ED8.jpeg

Super cool to see a fellow rider on these forums, and a drone owner as well! I feel like we might be living the same life lol.

Anyways, working my way through the james bond series, call of duty, pizza rolls, and dirtbiking! All great ways to practice social distancing:)

-Julia R

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Uh Tom! How have I read so many of your posts on this forum and not known you are into dirtbikes!! That is amazing! I actually came on here to share how dirtbiking is possibly the best social distancing activity ever lol.

Now that CT is pretty much shut down, all i’ve been doing is trail riding! There are some insanely technical trails around my house and neighborhood so that’s what’s been keeping me busy! Not really any good tracks in my area that are close, so I’ll have to wait until later in the spring to travel to those. I’ll post a pic of my bike below! Still a little tall for me, but i’m working on it!View attachment 288772

Super cool to see a fellow rider on these forums, and a drone owner as well! I feel like we might be living the same life lol.

Anyways, working my way through the james bond series, call of duty, pizza rolls, and dirtbiking! All great ways to practice social distancing:)

-Julia R
Now all you have to do is become a falconer and take a bunch of defensive shooting classes! I've got a head start, but plenty of time for you to catch up! :)

Life on two wheels is thrilling. Its hard to put that sensation into words for people who don't do it, but I can't imagine NOT doing it. The sense of weightlessness and elation as you move through the wind, leaning into each turn... And then the literally feeling of flight for those that do big jumps... I've tried to explain to people that you don't just ride the bikes on a track, you also have to learn to fly them and make corrections and adjustments in the air. Every landing is both a relief and a disappointment. Relieved that I made it back down to earth safely, but disappointed that I'm no longer airborne.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Now all you have to do is become a falconer and take a bunch of defensive shooting classes! I've got a head start, but plenty of time for you to catch up! :)

Life on two wheels is thrilling. Its hard to put that sensation into words for people who don't do it, but I can't imagine NOT doing it. The sense of weightlessness and elation as you move through the wind, leaning into each turn... And then the literally feeling of flight for those that do big jumps... I've tried to explain to people that you don't just ride the bikes on a track, you also have to learn to fly them and make corrections and adjustments in the air. Every landing is both a relief and a disappointment. Relieved that I made it back down to earth safely, but disappointed that I'm no longer airborne.
Years ago I rode a BMW Dual Sport for work and sadly 8-10 hours a day riding back and forth on the same street for only 7 blocks took the joy of riding out of me! A 90+ degree day on hot pavement sucked and no opportunity to do off road I gave it up! Now the shooting is a whole other ball of wax! I have travelled thousands of miles to compete in 3 guns and consider myself a fair shot! Funny I have outshot SWAT guys and had my *** handed to me by a retired beat cop! Funniest thing was when I was in NC and we were doing a long gun stage and the guy shooting accidentally hits his mag button and a half full 30 round mag goes rounds first into the mud. He picks it up and slaps it on his thigh twice and reloads- two rounds and he just made pottery in his chamber! NC red mud is a whole another kinda animal!