Soft plastron on Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I had taken my tort to the vet last week and I've just remembered to put up a thread saying what was wrong with sandy (my tort) ...
He isn't getting enough calcium and I've been told to give him a good amount of calcium dust sprinkled on his plants weeds etc .. I keep his UVB Arcadia floodlight on for 12 hours a day .. And I've been told to sprinkle the calci dust on daily ... Do you think this method will work ? My reptile vet isn't exactly qualified ... He's just a vet with some reptile experience .. But do you think I should still listen to his advice ?

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Yes, the calcium will help and UV light is essential to process the calcium.

Can you get some sunlight for your tort?

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
Yeah I do give him some but the great weather has finished in Scotland now it's back to grey skies and clouds ! Would it still be okay to take him out though?

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hey, where in Scotland are you? I'm in Aberdeen.
The weather here just sucks huh! Although its been brilliant here the last couple of weeks, my torts have been out more than all year!
I think if its warm enough you can still take them out when it's cloudy, they should still get some UVB.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
I live in glasgow ! Aberdeen is rather far up , Is it a big city ? But the weather was amazing.. It was actually to hot for me to leave the house !

1 dwarf hamster
2 Russian torts
5 freshwater fish

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, definitely take him out, even an hour per day will help!
Even if the temps are 15-20c, an area in the gravel will often heat up more.
See if you can dig up some weeds like dandelion and chicory...

But your set up sounds good, it will take some time.

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
rocky1998 said:
I live in glasgow ! Aberdeen is rather far up , Is it a big city ? But the weather was amazing.. It was actually to hot for me to leave the house !

Lovely day over in Edinburgh today :) I used to live in Aberdeenshire and loved it up there, although the weather could change fairly quickly. I wouldn't be against moving back up, but I've got another two years of uni to go before I even begin thinking about what to do next.

On the tort front, bear in mind that the plastron shouldn't be totally rigid. It should be firm, but still flexible if you put some pressure on it. Extra outdoor time certainly won't hurt though!

Status
Not open for further replies.