Soil for growing edible flowers

Hanami

Location (City and/or State)
New Milton
Hello ?

New mom to a 5 month Ibera.
From my understanding growing weeds is best done in old soil to make them more fibrous and such.
But how about the edible flowers and leaves I'd like to grow?
Will they grow in plain sterile top soil?
Or perhaps Coco peat?
I really don't want to feed my little one anything that isn't good for them.
Any ideas?
Thanks ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hm-m. . . I've not ever heard that 'old soil' theory. I would just dig up some dirt from my yard, dirt I know has no pesticides or other chemicals in it and use that. What a lot of our members do is get kitty litter trays, several, and plant the seeds, plants in the trays. Once you have them growing, you can put a tray into the enclosure with the tortoise, and when he eats all that, exchange it for another growing tray. Don't over think it. Tortoises in the wild eat stuff that grows in pretty depleted soil and they do just fine.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Top soil, or soil in general is heavier than I like for growing mediums. I use coco coir (or peat) with compost mixed in.

Hanami

New Milton
Hm-m. . . I've not ever heard that 'old soil' theory. I would just dig up some dirt from my yard, dirt I know has no pesticides or other chemicals in it and use that. What a lot of our members do is get kitty litter trays, several, and plant the seeds, plants in the trays. Once you have them growing, you can put a tray into the enclosure with the tortoise, and when he eats all that, exchange it for another growing tray. Don't over think it. Tortoises in the wild eat stuff that grows in pretty depleted soil and they do just fine.
Yeah that's what I mean by old soil, the stuff from your garden that has no added fertilizers or added feed.
Sadly I have fake grass and lots of pots filled with multi compost soil from garden centers.

Thanks for your reply!