Soil for outdoor enclosure

b3n

Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area California
Hello, first post. I have a 6 year old leopard tortoise that I'm looking to move outside to an outdoor enclosure I haven't set up yet. I'd like to use soil but have no good soil or even dirt naturally, I live in a city with a concrete backyard. I came across this Kellogg's organic all natural garden soil at Home Depot and was wondering if this would be ok in moderation, I'd probably make it a mixture with some coco coir and various barks. Anyone have experience with this? There's some funky stuff in the ingredients: "composted chicken manure, oyster shells, bat guano and worm castings." Other than that no synthetic fertilizers or perlite it seems.

Should I attempt to heat treat it or just stay away, or maybe it's not so bad altogether? I don't garden and this would be his first outdoor enclosure so new to all this soil stuff.

Attachments

• Kellogg organics.png
    Kellogg organics.png
    266.4 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. In addition to what is listed in the ingredients, it is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what is in it. I found semi-composted jacaranda leaves in Kellogg soil just like that. Jacaranda is toxic. This is no problem for growing plants in your garden, but it is obviously not suitable for small herbivorous animals to be living on.

Fine grade orchid bark will work best for your purposes. You can get it in bulk at local garden centers. Not the hard ware store, but an actual nursery. I use this one. $14 for 2.0 cu.ft.
Orchid Bark.JPG

b3n

Bay Area California
Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. In addition to what is listed in the ingredients, it is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what is in it. I found semi-composted jacaranda leaves in Kellogg soil just like that. Jacaranda is toxic. This is no problem for growing plants in your garden, but it is obviously not suitable for small herbivorous animals to be living on.

Fine grade orchid bark will work best for your purposes. You can get it in bulk at local garden centers. Not the hard ware store, but an actual nursery. I use this one. $14 for 2.0 cu.ft.
View attachment 346532
Thanks, just picked some up. Not the same brand but seems to be the same stuff.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
This stuff is great I use similar over the pond and it works brilliantly for both inside and out enclosures.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Leave a portion of thar enclosure cement floored.
The cement keeps nails and beaks worn down.
My enclosures are all earth floored and I have 2x2 cement pads scattered around