soil or fungus nats in the substrate, solution to problem

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I had my attention re-directed to 'mosquito bits' in another thread and re-read the information on the company website. Apparently the use if mosquito bits will also suppress or eliminate soil/fungus nats as well.

"The Mosquito Bits® are now labeled to control Fungus Gnats in plant beds or pots!"

http://www.summitchemical.com/mosquito/mosquito-bits/

I started using this experimentally to see if it would keep sewer flies out of closed chambers, it does!

Isopods used for bio active substrates don't seem to be bothered by it, but then again they are not really insects.

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
I had my attention re-directed to 'mosquito bits' in another thread and re-read the information on the company website. Apparently the use if mosquito bits will also suppress or eliminate soil/fungus nats as well.

"The Mosquito Bits® are now labeled to control Fungus Gnats in plant beds or pots!"

http://www.summitchemical.com/mosquito/mosquito-bits/

I started using this experimentally to see if it would keep sewer flies out of closed chambers, it does!

Isopods used for bio active substrates don't seem to be bothered by it, but then again they are not really insects.
How do you apply this product? In your substrate? Or just plants? Is it safe for tortoises

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Kapidolo Farms - Hey, Will: I know this is an old thread, but I just read it for the first time this a.m. and was thinking about the gnat maggots that eat my Manouria eggs. Do you think this product would be ok to mix in with the egg hatching medium with no harm to the eggs?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Good idea to try. I'd soak the donut or crumbles in the water you plan to use to moisten the incubation media, then wet the media with that water. It's a bacteria that relies on growing on organic detritus in the water where the mosquito larvae are. I guess for soil gnats, you'd soak them donut or crumbles in the water used to water the pants.

Good idea, I had not thought of this.

@Kapidolo Farms - Hey, Will: I know this is an old thread, but I just read it for the first time this a.m. and was thinking about the gnat maggots that eat my Manouria eggs. Do you think this product would be ok to mix in with the egg hatching medium with no harm to the eggs?

Machete’s Mom

Arizona
Good idea to try. I'd soak the donut or crumbles in the water you plan to use to moisten the incubation media, then wet the media with that water. It's a bacteria that relies on growing on organic detritus in the water where the mosquito larvae are. I guess for soil gnats, you'd soak them donut or crumbles in the water used to water the pants.

Good idea, I had not thought of this.
Hello, it seems you have a lot of experience and was wondering if you could help me. I know another member asked this question on this thread but it went unanswered; would you use this on the substrate to moisten for humidity? Does this harm tortoises? I have a baby and I usually spray down the substrate often to keep the humidity level up but last month noticed a lot of gnats after 3-4 weeks, so I replaced the substrate, baked it and now want to try to delay the process of the gnats for my indoor enclosure. I live in AZ of that matters.
If you could please help! Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I personally would not use anything. I have no idea if it would harm tortoises and wouldn't chance it
When I baked my substrate, it kept the bugs away for at least a year, possibly longer.
You can get roly poly bugs to put in the enclosure to help with the bugs.
The gnats don't live long once hatched. But the baking should hold them off.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Hello, it seems you have a lot of experience and was wondering if you could help me. I know another member asked this question on this thread but it went unanswered; would you use this on the substrate to moisten for humidity? Does this harm tortoises? I have a baby and I usually spray down the substrate often to keep the humidity level up but last month noticed a lot of gnats after 3-4 weeks, so I replaced the substrate, baked it and now want to try to delay the process of the gnats for my indoor enclosure. I live in AZ of that matters.
If you could please help! Thanks!
Yes I would based on experience.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, I am totally confused with this thread. When I answered it yesterday, I did not see any other posts. I had not known that this product was ever used. I never used it so of course I would not know if safe.
Now, today, I see this was an old thread and members have used it safely.