Soil / Plant Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So i'm going to be doing a 10x10 or more foot enclosure for my Leopard sometime next year.

From what i've read Leopard don't burrow much, except like in corners to sort of "hide" to sleep. But don't go deep. Is this true?

If I were to do 2 layers of soil. The bottom layer being fertilized and the top being just top soil (top soil would be non-toxic). The bottom fertilized soil would only be only 1" of soil. And the top soil would be 2-3" of soil on top of the fertilized

And in terms of fertilizer. It's my understanding it's only Toxic if the tortoise eats/comes into direct contact. It's not toxic if the tortoise eats the plant that eats fertilizer. True or not?

The reason I ask is, most plants don't do well without fertilizer. If this is not Ok. What are some Non-Toxic soils people use for their plants outside that are able to make the plants grow well.

These are the plants i'm looking at using (Note not all, I wish! lol). Going out today to check on prices etc. These are plants I could easily obtain and got off http://africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

Any opinions on which grow well would be appreciated. These are mainly going to be things for hiding/shade and to nibble on when he wants. Not a part of the Main diet.

Trees/Bushes

Hibiscus - All
Sage - All

Plants:

Aloe Vera - All
Alyssum Sweet - Leaf - Flower
Aster - All
Carnation - All
Chrysanthemum - Flower
Dahlia - All
Forsythia - All
Geranium - Leaves - Flower
Hosta - Leaves - Flowers
Lilac - All
Marigold - All
Pansy - All
Californian Poppy - All
Spider Plant - Leaf - Flower
Strawberry - All

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have grown Hibiscus (hardy, tropical and blue), californa Poppy, spider plant, strawberry, Geranium (not ivy geranium), Aloe Vera, Alyssum and cactus. they all do well in regular soil. I do not use chemical fertilizers as the plants to take up the chemicals and it is said you should not feed a plant from a nursery to your tort for at least 3 months to make sure all the chemicals are leached out. Insead I use fish emulsion. It is an organic ferilizer and my plants do well on this. You can find orgainc fertilzers on line. shipping is pretty steep though the fish emulsion you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. All the above plants I have listed I have had growing in my yard and in pots for over 3 years and they are doing great. Hope this helps.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
I have grown Hibiscus (hardy, tropical and blue), californa Poppy, spider plant, strawberry, Geranium (not ivy geranium), Aloe Vera, Alyssum and cactus. they all do well in regular soil. I do not use chemical fertilizers as the plants to take up the chemicals and it is said you should not feed a plant from a nursery to your tort for at least 3 months to make sure all the chemicals are leached out. Insead I use fish emulsion. It is an organic ferilizer and my plants do well on this. You can find orgainc fertilzers on line. shipping is pretty steep though the fish emulsion you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. All the above plants I have listed I have had growing in my yard and in pots for over 3 years and they are doing great. Hope this helps.

Yes thanks! So those plants you use the fish emulsion with, or those ones you have growing without any fertilizers period?

And the "regular soil" , is it Ogranic soil or just plain soil with no fertilizer, pesticides etc in it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My experience with the leopards here is that they hide under bushes. Mine don't dig at all.

My leopard pen is usually really overgrown and I have to take the Weedeater to it about once a month. When I've gotten it all chopped down, I rake it into a pile all along the fence line. There is a young 4 year old leopard in this pen and while the two older females go into the shed when they're finished eating, the younger one burrows into the pile of dead grass along the fence line.

I have noticed that during the summer when the shed isn't used that much, the older leopards do a lot of pooping under one particular bush, and they sort of moosh their bodies back and forth under the bush so that they create a small depression. I wouldn't exactly call it digging, because they don't use their feet, but just go back and forth with their plastron in the dirt and poop, creating a slight depression.

I have never imported any dirt for any of the habitats I've built here. I just use the soil that is here. When I build a baby-pen, I usually take a shovel and turn the dirt, raking it smooth, just to lighten it up a bit and not be so hard for the babies. I have red clay soil. Never been a problem for anyone to be kept on it.

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
if you turn the dirt thats already there, maybe put down a layer of soil, then plant the plants in that soil then put another layer of soil or moss to keep moister in, plants should be able to grow without a fertilizer. You just have to keep them watered really well, and dont let them dry out. Once you watered it a few times, and the roots are started then you dont have to water as much. Its possible to grow plants without fertilizer you just have to check them more and tend to them more.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Thanks. I went and bought some Ogranic soil. 16 quart bag for $3 when the 8 quart is normally 5$. So I got 5 bags. Pretty good price i think!

It's not enough for the outdoor enclosure, but I'm thinking of doing 1 of 2 things.

1. Mix the organic soil and the top soil i'm going to buy together as 1 soil.

2. Put the Organic soil on the bottom and the top soil on top. Or Organic soil on top, and top soil on bottom.

Not sure which is better.

I also wanted to ask. In terms of Plants that have fruits. I know Leopards shouldn't have much fruit if at all. But is it ok for them to eat the leaves of the fruit plants without worry?

I planned to do watermelon and strawberries. And I figured i'd just pick the lower ones to the ground out. Maybe leave 1/2 strawberries to nibble on. But is it ok if he eats the leaves year round?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have just planted them in the dirt. I have one area I used Kellogg natural top soil. I'ts cheap and works well. (has chicken poo in it) I put it down mix it with the regular yard dirtland don't put torts in until the smell goes away, usually about a week outside. Plants seem to love it. But the plants that are in pots for long periods you either need to feed them once in a while (fish emulsion) or water them with the water from your torts. It make a great fetilizer (forgot about that). Watermelon and strawberries are usually annual plants that is they only grow specific times of the year then die off. Good luck getting to the strawberries before the torts if planted in their pens :D. I have my strawberries planted outside the pens and just pull off leaves now and then and feed. Zucchini is another good squash to plant. My DT love the flowers, leaves not so much but will eat some, but the zucchini is always a hit.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
I have just planted them in the dirt. I have one area I used Kellogg natural top soil. I'ts cheap and works well. (has chicken poo in it) I put it down mix it with the regular yard dirtland don't put torts in until the smell goes away, usually about a week outside. Plants seem to love it. But the plants that are in pots for long periods you either need to feed them once in a while (fish emulsion) or water them with the water from your torts. It make a great fetilizer (forgot about that). Watermelon and strawberries are usually annual plants that is they only grow specific times of the year then die off. Good luck getting to the strawberries before the torts if planted in their pens :D. I have my strawberries planted outside the pens and just pull off leaves now and then and feed. Zucchini is another good squash to plant. My DT love the flowers, leaves not so much but will eat some, but the zucchini is always a hit.

Ok thanks. But are the leaves from watermelon/strawberry ok for them to eat without supervision? (Like eating too much fruit is bad, but is eating too many of the fruits leaves bad?)

Also at Home Depot and a local Feed shop I got seeds for:

Grasses: Rye, Bluegrass, Fescues, Tomothy Hay (Also have Couch/Crab grass in backyard)

Plants: Sage, Lavender, Alyssum Sweet, Aster, Dahlia, Geraniums, Marigold, California Poppy, Hollyhock, Carnation, Watermelon and Strawberry. Hope it's enough variety to start!

I have a lot of Plant grow lights. So my plan is to grow them inside starting Feb/March of next year. Get them established and then plant them in the outdoor enclosure. This also let's me test which foods he likes or doesn't like so I can plant accordingly. God I hope he isn't a picky eater!

Also looking at Hostas, Hibiscus and Spider Plants, but those I couldn't find seeds for and going to wait til next year to plant those since they are already established when bought.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The fruit leaves are fine; you will see the fruit grow hopefully and get it while it is very small if necessary? From what I've heard, if the leaves get nibbled down the plant may not even grow to fruit. Great!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Watermelon/strawberry leaves are fine for them without supervision. The fruits are the ones that carry too much sugars for them to eat a lot of.

Those plants you mentioned should give you a great variety to start with.

If you have a Costco near you they sell the Hostas (in the spring), they are a bulb. If you know someone who has a spider plant just take a couple of the baby spiders they grow well from that.
I'd buy a Hibiscus or two now so that by spring the chemicals have all leached out of the plant. Oh and Day lillys are another plant torts seem to like. They will eat the flowers and hide under the folage.

Sounds like your careful planning will pay off in great dividends for your little Leo. Good work.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
Watermelon/strawberry leaves are fine for them without supervision. The fruits are the ones that carry too much sugars for them to eat a lot of.

Those plants you mentioned should give you a great variety to start with.

If you have a Costco near you they sell the Hostas (in the spring), they are a bulb. If you know someone who has a spider plant just take a couple of the baby spiders they grow well from that.
I'd buy a Hibiscus or two now so that by spring the chemicals have all leached out of the plant. Oh and Day lillys are another plant torts seem to like. They will eat the flowers and hide under the folage.

Sounds like your careful planning will pay off in great dividends for your little Leo. Good work.

Thanks. I didnt see Day Lillies at Home depot, but there is another plant shop nearby that I am sure will have some.

Now I need to figure out if I want to plant clover in there or seperate outside. Dandelions i'm not just because I can get a bundle of huge leaves for 70 cents. I don't want the weeds to take over if you know what I mean :p

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Forgot to ask, are ALL Day Lillies Ok? There are a lot of varietes of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.