Solar Fountain

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello TFO,

I recently added a little solar fountain to one of my tortoise's outside enclosure and liked it so much that I got a couple more, so that there's one in every outside enclosure now (three, two for the Russian and one for the Redfoot... the MEP and the Hingeback don't have outside enclosures because trips outside don't seem to benefit them as much).

IMG_20200619_094318.jpg

It's about 6.5" across and can either float in or attach (with suction cups) to the bottom, and functions so long as there's enough water to reach the intakes (about an inch).

I got them from Amazon, and went with solar because I didn't want to mess with wiring...

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've used them.
I like them.

Out in my fish ponds, I have a solar powered aerator on each pond.
I enclosed the pumps in plastic boxes from the dollar store. Sealed in silicone rubber.
They just keep going.

Attachments

• 20190503_135839.jpg
    20190503_135839.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Hello TFO,

I recently added a little solar fountain to one of my tortoise's outside enclosure and liked it so much that I got a couple more, so that there's one in every outside enclosure now (three, two for the Russian and one for the Redfoot... the MEP and the Hingeback don't have outside enclosures because trips outside don't seem to benefit them as much).

View attachment 297836

It's about 6.5" across and can either float in or attach (with suction cups) to the bottom, and functions so long as there's enough water to reach the intakes (about an inch).

I got them from Amazon, and went with solar because I didn't want to mess with wiring...

Jamie
Thats awesome! I was looking at them a lil while back and wasnt sure if they would work in shallow water. Now i know lol

nicoleann2214

NY
Hello TFO,

View attachment 297836

Jamie
He looks like he’s yelling at her ???

cbs

Malibu, CA
This looks awesome, but does the splashing deter the tortoises from going in the water?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
This looks awesome, but does the splashing deter the tortoises from going in the water?
I know mine doesnt mind splashing.. whenever im filling his Outdoor tub with the hose he comes running over and seems to enjoy it.

Reactions: cbs

evansmom

Pacifica, CA
Hello TFO,

View attachment 297836

Jamie
Can you possibly post the URL for this particular fountain?

Your Russians are definitely having fun! My Russian (who is "single"), has recently been attempting to mate with a tortoise-shaped rock that's in his pen. Has anyone ever had that experience with their tort?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Can you possibly post the URL for this particular fountain?

Your Russians are definitely having fun! My Russian (who is "single"), has recently been attempting to mate with a tortoise-shaped rock that's in his pen. Has anyone ever had that experience with their tort?
IMG_20200517_084714651.jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Nice! Also, did they mate successfully and are you expecting eggs?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
They've gotten together every day for almost a week now... I leave them together for about 10 minutes so that Chili, the male, doesn't exhaust or hurt Persephone, the female.

They're both rescues, with unsure pasts, so I'm hopeful, but not counting on, eggs....

Jamie