Solar meter number for Russian?

Jon c

Location (City and/or State)
Williamsville
Bit the bullet and ordered a Solar meter 6.5 UV index meter today. I think I'm going to go with Arcadia as it seems to be the best quality I can find. I was going to do their 6%UV T5 so it doesn't have to be mounted super high.
Can anyone tell me what the ideal number is that I'm going to want on the solar meter for an adult Russian? Also where's the best spot with fastest shipping for Arcadia?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I believe that lightyourreptiles is the only Arcadia dealer in the US.

The desired reading depends on how you want to run your bulb. Some people like to run it all day with the basking lamps. I prefer to run the UV only for 3-4 hours mid day.

For all day use, I'd go with a reading around 3.0. For mid day use only, I'd look for a reading around 6 or 7. In either case, make sure the tortoise can hide from the UV light when it wants to.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Reptile basics also carries Arcadia. I carry some Arcadia stuff that I recommend and install in my enclosures I sell.

Jon c

Williamsville

The desired reading depends on how you want to run your bulb. Some people like to run it all day with the basking lamps. I prefer to run the UV only for 3-4 hours mid day.

For all day use, I'd go with a reading around 3.0. For mid day use only, I'd look for a reading around 6 or 7. In either case, make sure the tortoise can hide from the UV light when it wants to.
Ok, thank you. I know those are powerful. That makes sense with the midday UV boost. So maybe I will run a standard shop tube for light and throw the UV on a separate timer. I'll wait and see what the readings are when I get the arcadia and meter, then I'll see witch application will work best.

Jon c

Williamsville
Reptile basics also carries Arcadia. I carry some Arcadia stuff that I recommend and install in my enclosures I sell.
Ok thanks. Are you the Mark that does the enclosures I saw in some of Wills vids? ?

Jon c

Williamsville
Yes. Will and I do shows together. However, this year it looks like all reptile shows will be cancelled.
[/QUOTE

The only full kit(with the Arcadia ballast) I can get is thisScreenshot_20200502-184249.png 12" shade dweller with a 7% bulb. Do you think it would do the trick?Screenshot_20200502-184249.pngScreenshot_20200502-184249.png

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Jon c

Williamsville
Try reptilebasics.com. go to t5 section and look at the Arcadia pro T5. That is a good unit and you specify which strength bulb you want with it
Ok I'll look there again because I did just finally find the arcadia pro on lightyou'rereptiles. You just have to navagate around the different sections. Thanks I'll check it out now!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, thank you. I know those are powerful. That makes sense with the midday UV boost. So maybe I will run a standard shop tube for light and throw the UV on a separate timer. I'll wait and see what the readings are when I get the arcadia and meter, then I'll see witch application will work best.
Unless you need the heat, I prefer LEDs for ambient lighting.

Jon c

Williamsville
Update on the Arcadia light. I did end up finding the pro version on both lightyourreptiles and reptilebasics, however they were all sold out on reptilebasics so I went with the first. I went with the 36" with a 12% bulb. I'll start by mounting it down the center of the enclosure 24" high witch should give me a UV index reading of around 3(well see). If that is bright enough and the right UV reading I'll run that 6-8 hrs/day. If I feel thats not going to be ideal I will slide it over sideways (the width way of enclosure) closer to the basking dome and lower it for a stronger UV index of 6-7 for 3 or 4 hrs/day. I would probobly then have to do some ambient lighting in the middle. Good thing I have time to perfect all these details, no tortoise yet and myself and the seller are in no particular rush as the pandemic has delayed shipping and I know he's in good hands. I'm going to be getting a male adult Russian. CAPTIVE bred and raised by the best!

Jon c

Williamsville
Try reptilebasics.com. go to t5 section and look at the Arcadia pro T5. That is a good unit and you specify which strength bulb you want with it
I figured it out now, thanks. When you go to click on the bulb type they are all sold out. All 3 bulbs, all 3 sizes. I used lightyourreptiles and was able to get my hands on one! 17$ shipping, but man I'm exited to see that German engineering in action! God I'm a nerd.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok good to know. Do you just use like under cabinet, basic type for ambient or actual reptile led?
I use standard Home Depot under cabinet mount stuff. I think anything will work. I've also started using screw in LEDs to fill some empty sockets in my enclosures.