Solar Raptor findings after 2 months

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I have two Solar Raptor lights. 1 in my RT tank, Martha, & one in my Sully's, Harper.

Marthas- 12 inches from her shell to the light & reading 140. The bulb is at an angle so that does lower the reading- Humidity is 40% in hide she is by & drops to 25% directly under the Solar light. Temp is 95 under this light & there is a CHE next to it to provide heat.
fwklkn.jpg

Harper- 10" from top of her to light reading 120. It is at a bit more of an angle which diminishes it a bit. If it was straight down it comes in at 160 in the center of the beam. A CHE is the silver fixture next to it. Humid hide is 79% rest of tank ranges from 85 to 50%. The 50% is directly under the CHE in the center of the Solar Raptors rays. It is a little higher when I spray down the ground there.
2yxnecx.jpg

The secondary light I have in here is a 160w Powersun that is 6 mnoths old. Mostly used for heat at this end. It is the same distance & reads at 40.
2r548kx.jpg

Outside reading for reference
314x920.jpg

All & all I am very pleased with this light system. I need to tweak it a bit in Harpers enclosure to get better readings, but that is not the bulbs fault. A little expensive to set up at first but replacement bulbs are comparable to a Power Sun. I did not have a base reading for my Powersun brand new. Got my meter a few months latter, but the best reading I got then was 60.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for sharing the info. Looks like the Power Sun, isn't really the best one to use as I had hoped and thought. If you could, please do a reading at 6 months and then a year. I was told on several occasions, that the MVB's were suppose to have good UVB for a year. Would love to know if at least the raptor will last.
Isn't the raptor, by mega ray, the one that either had many bulbs blow very early on or that they were very hard to get ahold of?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yep, from what i can fine the bulbs would blow. Not a problem any more it seems.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I forgot which watt bulb you are using? And you have to buy a fixture, correct?

In any case, it does sound very promising.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Think it was 100w. I will double check when I get home. Did have to buy fixture.