1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Solar Raptor/Mega Ray update

Discussion in 'Tortoise Product Reviews' started by tortoiseboy8o8, Aug 29, 2011.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tortoiseboy8o8

tortoiseboy8o8 New Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Oahu
    I have updates on their current product for those who are interested. I bought two SB100watt bulbs in the begining of July of this year. Bulb #1 lasted me from July 11th to Aug 28th. This is nowhere near their warranty garuntee, it should've lasted me at least till February. I'm currently running bulb #2 and I'll update anyone whos interested.

Being as anal as I am I did test the actual UVB output on these bulbs brand new when I first recieved them with two different lamps. Exo Terra 7.5" dome with polished dome and Zoo Meds deep dome.

Bulb #1 which recently died on me had readings from my Solar Ray 6.2 and using Zoo Meds deep dome it read @ 12" which emitted 290/cu2, @ 15" it read 176/cu2 and @ 18" it read 121/cu2. With the Exo Terra I got @ 12" read 250/cu2, @ 15" read 168/cu2 and @ 18" read 122/cu2. I was pleased with these #'s because they are very close to what they are claimed to put out.

Bulb #2. Zoo Meds deep dome @ 12" read 56/cu2, @ 15" read 31/cu2 and @ 18" read 18/cu2. Exo Terra @ 12" read 81/cu2, @ 15" read 48/cu2 and @ 18" read 18/cu2. I was very disappointed in these #'s because they were nowhere near claimed output!! I'm currently running this bulb with my setup since although the #s are poor, they still put out more than my Powersun100w ever did.

I'm not even gonna bother trying to get a refund or a replacement from all the reviews and stories I've heard and read. I'll just take my losses and move on if bulb #2 fails on me in 6 weeks like #1 did. Powersun's #'s aren't as great but at least I know the bulb will last me at least 6 months.

Hope this helps with anyone whos interested in trying out their bulbs. Bulb #1 readings were great but so far it seems they dropped the ball on delivering a bulb that lasts with their newly designed product.
  2. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 10 Year Member!

CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I would agree with cutting your losses,thanks for the info
  3. yagyujubei

yagyujubei Active Member 5 Year Member

Amish Country
    I can't believe that this guy is still in business. He must have screwed over hundreds of people by now.
  4. tyler0912

tyler0912 Active Member 5 Year Member

Blackburn, U.K.
    I was thinking the same!
  5. tortoiseboy8o8

tortoiseboy8o8 New Member 5 Year Member

Oahu
    I agree. The first bulb that I was running produced outstanding #'s and didn't decay much. But from what I've read and experienced, they don't last nearly as long as they should. I'm really disappointed because I only want whats best for my torts. They do get real sun at least 4 times a week but the thought of their bulb putting out UVB close to the sun eased my mind when they're inside.
  6. falconut

falconut New Member 5 Year Member

They apparently have decided that their best move it to have their customers eat the cost of the bad bulbs. I paid $50 for a bulb to last a month and never was offered a replacement. They used to be good, but not anymore. I've sent them several emails and they've never responded.

I wouldn't recommend buying their new bulbs. They got my money once and they're not getting it again. I'd prefer not to get burned again. Just pick one of the reputable brands. I went with Zoo Med Power Sun, but there are others to choose from.