Some Gpb love

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Since the Gpp have been stealing the spotlight lately I decided to give a small update on my "little" Gpb.

I bought "her" right at a year ago from a breeder here on TFO. She was maybe a month old then so she is right at a year or so in age. Took some measurements a few days ago and weighed her. She is right at 6" scl and 710 grams after a soak.

When I purchased her I read on a lot of threads where people were convinced that the growth rate of Gpp is much greater than Gpb but after owning her I'm not convinced. I'm not saying that Gpp do not have the capacity to attain greater size than Gpb but I think all the leos, Gpb and Gpp alike, will vary per individual. I'm curious to see where she will be in another 3 or 4 years in comparison to some of the many Gpp on this forum.

Attachments

• IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 301
  • IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 254
  • IMAG0318.jpg
    IMAG0318.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 258

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I still have much love for babcocki and yours is a beauty!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Wow! 6 inches in a year is amazing. and she looks great!! nice job buddy!! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a nice size for a year. Did she always have that "dip in" in the top back? I'm sure she doesn't, but that is what some MBD torts look like.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
wellington said:
That is a nice size for a year. Did she always have that "dip in" in the top back? I'm sure she doesn't, but that is what some MBD torts look like.

Yes.

Greg T said:
Wow! 6 inches in a year is amazing. and she looks great!! nice job buddy!! :D

Thanks Greg, at this rate she should be a monster in just a few years.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
First of all, beautiful tort. That's quite a growth rate. Secondly, what is your take on Gpb 'personality'? I've only been around a few, but they were the least interactive or curious chelonians I've ever seen. I know they tend to be mellower than a sulcata (what isn't ?) but are they typically super shy/antisocial? I ask because they are gorgeous and I would otherwise love to have one. Thanks for any insights!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
ALL leopards are awesome, simply because they are tooti frooti in what you will be getting. For me, they are all living pieces of art that evolve in front of our eyes. My little leopards are completely distinct in shell pattern and growth. That is the surprise element. I know it is the globally responsible thing to do, to keep like with like, but I have to say as mish moshed as the GPP and GPB are in the US, and perhaps even in their various ranges in Africa, keeping like with like is more for the conservationists and purists. Us average keepers, for pet, not breeding, we should be happy with them regardless of their p or b status. We simply do not know what we have in US. I have seen double dotted babies shared on the forum that are presented as PP and I know for sure that they are a mix. Who cares? Still beautiful and cute and wonderful! Love all them leopards y'all!!! : )

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
No argument here and I'm not qualified to comment on Gpp vs Gpb. Just looking for observations on behavior. Thanks

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
zenoandthetortoise, as this thread develops I think you will find both. I am curious also. In past comments, on other threads, people have said both, some are shy and some are totally not shy. My babies are 3/4 GPP and 1/4 GPB and I have 2 shy and 1 not shy, bold actually. BamBamBambini is all over the place always, climbing, hiking, running from one end to the other. The other two, eat and sleep, and stroll quietly. They are more Zen.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Some Gpb love

wellington said:

Many captive raised leopards have this dip. GPB and GPP maybe even more so. I always wonder about what causes this but think it has nothing to do with MBD. It can even be seen on hatchlings right out of the egg before they start develop.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What I can tell you about my GPB and the two little ones I'm caring for is this. Mine, doesn't really want to follow you around or ram your leg or act like a dog. However, he is not shy at all, will push his head out when I kiss on him and I can touch all legs, neck, head and tail and he couldn't careless. He will not struggle to try and get away or down. I can set him on my chest and hold him for as long as I want.
The two babies. Well the owners said one was shy the other not. Now neither one is shy. Even if they pull in because you startled them, they pop right back out as soon as they realize they were just startled and not in danger, that goes for mine and the two little ones. I love all the leopards, but I personally think the GPB are cuter:D

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have an adult that has had a dip like this in the same rear scute since I got her at 2 years old. I never knew what caused it, possibly MBD, but it is still there and she is healthy as a horse, now weighing about 15 pounds.

mikeh said:
wellington said:

Many captive raised leopards have this dip. GPB and GPP maybe even more so. I always wonder about what causes this but think it has nothing to do with MBD. It can even be seen on hatchlings right out of the egg before they start develop.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never seen one have that. Unless it was a case where you could safely assume MBD.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Sorry to disappoint you, Wellington. My tortoise doesnt have MBD.

Greg - this is not one of yours. I got this one from Elliott, a member here although I don't know think he has been on in awhile.

I don't think I'm the best source for info concerning Gpb personality vs Gpp seeing as I only have one Gpb but I can tell you that she tends to be rather passive. She will walk around and do her thing when I'm around but she will prefers to be left alone and doesn't come to me when I'm outside. If I pick her up she initially retracts into her shell but will start to come around once she understands that there is no threat.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
And remember, personalities evolve based on their care, their keepers, their sense of security ... I think personality may be as mish moshed as their lineage and as their shell designs. They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. Like Forrest Gump told us.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Love my GPBs, too!

Attachments

• 1382480458248.jpg
    1382480458248.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 1382480476327.jpg
    1382480476327.jpg