Some help please. Rot, burrowing? CA Wood turtle crossed with a Bog Turtle?

holleyakers

Hello all,

We have had our little Broom Hilda for three weeks now and I still can't figure out what type of turtle she is and additionally I think we might have some shell rot and she stays burrowed All the time!

Honestly I can't tell if her shell is supposed to be black like a Bog turtle because there are some orange and yellow markings like a CA Wood turtle. Any ideas?

Additionally she eats great (mostly crickets, some lettuces and carrots), she swims around a bit in the water area of her enclosure, but mostly she just burrows down and stays there. At least 20-22 hours of the day. I worry about her dehydrating so I soak her for an hour or so every other day.

This can't be normal. I would really love some help.

Attachments

• Turtle 029.JPG
    Turtle 029.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Turtle 025.JPG
    Turtle 025.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Turtle 018.JPG
    Turtle 018.JPG
    472.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Turtle 014.JPG
    Turtle 014.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 43

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It does look a little like your Central American Wood Turtle is suffering from shell rot.

These turtles should be kept a little on the warm side, as they come from a pretty warm climate. Are you keeping it warm enough? That might be a reason it stays dug down all the time.

Here's a care sheet for you to read:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/rhinoclemmys.html

holleyakers

Thanks Yvonne.

I'm thinking its too cool for her. It's been hot enough to run the air conditioning in here and I believe that has just pushed it too far into the cool side for her. I don't think her basking area is warm enough either. It's just a 60 watt bulb, which I read was enough, but maybe not in our house. Thanks for the link too.

Holley

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Thanks Yvonne.

I'm thinking its too cool for her. It's been hot enough to run the air conditioning in here and I believe that has just pushed it too far into the cool side for her. I don't think her basking area is warm enough either. It's just a 60 watt bulb, which I read was enough, but maybe not in our house. Thanks for the link too.

Holley
It's their nature to do this. I keep mine outside. They are only active during the very early mornings, late afternoon(dusk) and when it's raining. Other than that they are always buried. They are most active during these periods of dry season. They become more active during the wet seasons. They always are exposed to pretty warm conditions during the day and cool evenings. This behavior is completely normal and within the species activity of normality.