some news and thoughts about manouria

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern USA
It's official, after March, I will be the oroud owner of an unrelated pair of Vic Morgan Burmese Blacks!!! I have decided they would do best in my part of the world and in Portland, when I move in the next couple of years. They are also easiest to provide for as far as diet, humidity, and temperature, b/c of some other projects I have or have had in the past.

I was thinking....not too hard, but just enough to get a bit of smoke at the ears and I thought....why not plant bamboos in manouria enclosures? Bamboos are actually a grass and I am certain would be present in the natural habitat, and therefore diet, of the torts and they can withstand lots of grazing, trampling, and other abuse, the replenish quickly, and come in a wide range of heights, hardiness, and colors. I looked into some cold hardy plants to give a tropical affect to the enclosures outdoors and bamboos, a few palms, a bananna tree, some figs, grapes, colocasias(have to be dug and stored), and cannas fit the bill nicely. Some of these will have to be protected from grazing, but are not toxic and I will alos be growing lots of forage weeds and grasses, as well as providing fresh cactus fruits, figs, and mulberry leaves, as seasons permit. I am very much enjoying the planning pahse of feeding and housing my tortoises and they are so exciting...even months away...lol

I did not want to risk shipping them here now and the time allows me get the seeds, plants, bulbs, lights, indoor habitat, outdoor perimeter, and so on bought and at the ready. I hope to have lots to contribute here in ther near future...until then, I enjoy reading what others are doing and how these torts behave.

Status
Not open for further replies.