Some people are pretty scary - stupid - underhanded - take your pick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I'd like to replace the word crappy in the subject line with something else, but can't without getting an infraction.

About a week ago, I walked out of a Moroccan restaurant with my nephews. They really like the place because you get to sit on the floor and eat with your hands. I like the the place for the belly dancers err. . . . .I mean good food.

Well, we walked out of the restaurant and a puppy (mini schnauzer I think) ran up to one of my nephews. He picked the puppy up and asked me if he could have it. Of course I said 'no'. We did take the little guy with us though. I had him checked for a microchip, there was none. He was wearing a small green collar though and seemed well fed and groomed.

I put out a few ads in local papers and posted a listing on Craigslist for a the found puppy. In hindsight I should not have posted his pic, and should have forced people to describe him to me. A day later, I received an e-mail from a woman stating that the puppy was her family's. I called her and she came by to pick him up. The puppy ran right over to her (in hindsight, the puppy ran up to everyone). She took him, thanked me, and offered me a reward which I refused.

I logged in to remove the ad and noticed another email from a different woman stating that the dog was hers. I had a real panicked, sick, disgusted feeling all at the same time. I replied back informing her that the puppy had been claimed by his owner already. She replied back with several pics attached of her, her boyfriend, and the puppy. Definitely same puppy, same green collar.

At this point, I called her up and explained what exactly whathad happened. She wanted the other woman's phone number and e-mail right away. In my head, I was thinking that conversation would be ugly, and she may not be able to get her dog back from the woman. I told her that I would call first and see what I could do to reclaim the dog for her. I called the woman up and explained that the real owner contacted me and sent me proof that the dog was really hers. Her reply back, and get this, "Its her fault she lost the puppy. You gave the puppy to me freely, that responsibility is on you. I have the puppy, my kids are already attached to him, possession in nine tenths of the law, just tell her to get a new one." At this point, I really had to stop and think, "did she really just say all of that". I reminded her that she misled me and got the puppy under false pretenses and just said, "Please just give him back and all of this goes away for all of us, would you want your kids to know how you really got him?" At this point, she hung up.

I had to call the real owner of the dog back and let her know that I failed to get the puppy back. I gave her the woman's name, e-mail address, and phone number. I also looked on my survelliance footage and managed to get her license plate number when she was parked on my driveway. While the real owner was doing her best to remain calm and civil, she did ask me the question of why didn't I demand proof of some kind, reminding me that there are a lot of awful people out there. She was practically scolding me like I was 10. At this point, I felt so bad that all I could do was apologize. She said she was filing a police report for theft and was was going to look in to whether or not she could sue to get the dog back if the police couldn't help. I told her that I would help and give a statement to police. The police contaced me a few days later after she filed her report, and I explained what happened.

Now here we are one week later, I get a strange e-mail from an unrecognized e-mail address. The sender is "MYOB". In the e-mail is a message, "Sometimes bad things happen to people that get envolved [sic] in stuff that has nothing to do with them." This thief has my e-mail address, phone number, and home address. I don't know if I should be worried or take that as an idle threat. I'm also debating whether or not to call the officer that took my statement and inform him of the e-mail that I received.

Makes me wish that we had left the dog in the parking lot. Sorry for the novel.

hannahlouise12

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks, MN
RE: Some people are crappy.

Wow! I think you should inform the police of this email you were sent because it sounds threatening to me. I can't believe that person was just fine with taking someone elses puppy and then refusing to give it back with no remorse for the real owners feelings.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

hannahlouise12 said:
Wow! I think you should inform the police of this email you were sent because it sounds threatening to me. I can't believe that person was just fine with taking someone elses puppy and then refusing to give it back with no remorse for the real owners feelings.

Ditto! It also tells me, that the puppy is so much better off now, then in the same home as a person like that lady. Also quit blaming yourself, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but far from reality and on the spot happenings.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

I would also notify the police. Better to play this one safe.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa

some people are jerks. please let the cops know if you feel scare. its up to you . may not be a bad thing to have on record. good luck and thanks for doing what you thought was right!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

I would let the cops know about the email just in case, a paper trail is always wise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I absolutely would also print and forward a copy of the email to the police officer that you spoke with. There are ways that an email can be traced if need be...

No good deed goes unpunished.....I am sorry that you are involved in this. Also, you did over and above by picking up the dog and checking it for owner info....and Hindsight is a devilish thing....

I bet they will hash it out to some resolve. Maybe you should give the "actual" owner lady a call back and see if she took custody of her dog again?

On the flip side, you went through all of the effort to have id check done, post on craigslist....I am left to wonder why the owner did not also post a craigslist add showing she lost her dog right away??

You did a good thing ....and don't let someone elses bad deed take away from your good....:D

pdrobber

10 Year Member!

Yes, I'm curious as to whether the puppy went back to the real owner. Yes you should just notify police that you received this message, seems like a threat to me. Why else would they send it? In the case that anything would happen to you because of these puppy stealers, and then you say "well I did get this email..." there will be a possibility it could have been prevented.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

I would definitely let the police know about the email.

Also, do you have a clear picture of her on surveillance? Shaming can have a powerful effect. Posting something like this on Craigslist or Facebook with her picture might make her think twice.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Thank you so much for sharing. I do not think I would question whether someone was telling the truth, because I would just assume they were!! I would definitely tell the police about the threatening email. Maybe, they can stop over to that horrible person's house and explain that dog stealing and threatening is against the law. Ugh, this truly makes me sick!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!

perhaps they should listen to the same message they sent you. MYOB". Sometimes bad things happen to people that get involved in stuff that has nothing to do with them. Exactly, they shouldn't have gotten involved in getting between you and finding the rightful owner of the dog.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida

i agree with notifying the police... and as a continuation of the public shaming tactic... you could also contact your local media source-news paper, or tv news station. they love 'helping' with this sort of thing, and publicizing from a neutral 3rd party could help get the dog back to its original owner.

Katherine

5 Year Member

I am so sorry this situation was your reward for trying to do the right thing! I appreciate you sharing your story so that we may refrain from making the same missteps; I can easily imagine this happening to any kind hearted person. I would definitely report the email to the responding officer, it is in your best interest to document this situation as well as possible incase of the rare event the "crappy" woman initiates unfavorable interaction w you in the future. For what it is worth I find it unlikely a cowardly craigslist thief will persist in harassing you. I hope you're not beating yourself up here; you acted as many people would have, and with the best of intentions : ) goodluck, hope it blows over quickly

JacksonR

5 Year Member

Sick woman. Go to her house and TAKE the dog back.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California

I agree with the unanimous opinion of forwarding the email to the police. The poor grammar makes it even more terrifying. You're not just dealing with a criminal, you're dealing with an extremely stupid criminal.
Honestly, I can't believe you were treated like a child by the rightful (true) owner of the dog. You did your best, at the time, in finding the right owner. She should be grateful that there was even a Craigslist post to begin with. Yeah, putting you on blast "for not properly checking" is REALLY going to help...especially since she lost her own dog. ;)
For goodness sakes, you even got a license plate number for her! I'd be tripping all over myself to thank you for a lead like that!
Crappy people (minus you and the police, I'd say) abound in this situation.
It's stuff like this that makes me perfectly content with my "hermit" status. :rolleyes:

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas

I once had someone bring in a ferret that they found in their yard and placed an online FOUND ad. I immediately got a reply from a woman that said she had lost the ferret, so I said, "Please come and get him, he needs to go home. Oh, please bring a picture of you or a family member with the ferret or be prepared to describe him in detail." This brought the phone call to a screeching halt! After some mumbling and fumbling for words, she admitted that it wasn't hers and that she had always wanted a ferret and would make a wonderful home. Conversation ended there with a thank you for her time. Another call an hour later, a visit from the real owner with her daughter and a perfect pic of the daughter and ferret together and he went back home. My request for proof from the first phone caller was a complete afterthought because of a gut feeling...you did the right thing, don't let it eat you up.

Doc

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

JacksonR said:
Sick woman. Go to her house and TAKE the dog back.
Seriously? that is the worst thing you can do, you will only escalate the situation.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member

Report the Email to the PD they can trace it back..."intimidation of a witness" is in it self is a crime..

I know some will disagree with me.. But society is in a downward spiral.. Values are out the window... And most people just plain SUCK

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Some people are pretty scary!

This is why I ALWAYS recommend that people take pictures of their tortoises and have a family member in the picture for i.d. purposes.

Katherine

5 Year Member
RE: Some people are pretty scary!

emysemys said:
This is why I ALWAYS recommend that people take pictures of their tortoises and have a family member in the picture for i.d. purposes.

A great idea! I need to update my photos and appreciate the reminder, we can never be too careful...

Status
Not open for further replies.