Some pics of my big guy....Mr. T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Ok, here is a bit of an update on Mr. T. Here is a new pic of him, messy face and all....

e7587885.jpg

Here is his new winter/inclement weather house. I am still working on it. Today I just put the vinyl flooring down. Next step is to insulate the walls and ceiling and put a layer of plywood on top of that. There are two skylights and a good sized window in it.

010aed24.jpg

f61ae655.jpg

3d8b4529.jpg

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Thanks! We definitely couldn't imagine life without our Mr. T.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He really is an exceptional looking sulcata. Gorgeous head and those leg scales are long and exaggerated.

Your shed looks fantastic. How are you planning to heat it? Please show us the finished pics. It gives us all ideas and inspiration for our own sheds. I'm going to need something similar in the next few years, but for MEPs and to avoid the summer heat, instead of the winter cold.

I love how you did the door there. I've always just cut out half circles or rectangles of the appropriate size. I prefer your design, having seen it.

Urtle

5 Year Member
Great looking tortoise:) I love his colors. Have you measured him yet?

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Thanks everyone! I haven't measured him yet, but that's a good idea, I'll try and do that when I get off work today. As for heating the shed, I'm going to wire it for power soon. I'm going to try an oil filled heater first and get a large Kane heat mat for him. I'm hoping the oil filled heater will keep the ambient air up. I'm going to have to build a barrier around it so he won't tip it over. If that doesn't do the the job, I'll just get some other heater and try that.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
got some hay for his new house yesterday....

58638aeb.jpg

here he is, chillin' in the shade....
fe526aa0.jpg

Oh, and he is about 18 inches from back of shell to front.....

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Here are some new pics I took tonight....

Mr T giving Sooner a ride....

DSC00264.jpg

You lookin' at me???

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

EXTREME CLOSE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSC00304.jpg

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
New ones from today. We were setting up a little kiddie pool at the base of the kids' slide so they could slide into the pool. Well, Mr T walked right up to the pool, and bull-dozed his way over the side and decided to crash the pool party!

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Allright! Another "aquatic Morph" sulcata. I love a wet sulcata.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a cute little girl!!! I just love that chubby body in her two-piece!!

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
Here are some updated pics of Mr T's shed. He's now bunkered down for the winter. He has an oil filled heater and a 150 watt infrared heat lamp. I will get some other lighting in to make it a bit brighter during the day, but the skylights and window let a lot of light in. I have a mega-ray on order, but not really sure he will need it too much. I put three layers of that plastic sheeting at the base of the upper door so he can get out during the day if he wants. It does a good job holding the heat in and keeping the wind and cold out.
I ran power from my house panel to the shed. It's on it's own 20 amp breaker. I have 6 receptacles inside, and they are all line-loaded off of a GFI receptacle.

Here is the plastic sheeting, as you can see, i ran out of large washers....it bugs me to have a half completed project!

IMG_20101205_102843.jpg

IMG_20101205_103030.jpg

There is R-30 insulation behind the lower plywood covering the walls. I will get more insulation and plywood to finish the rest in the upcoming weeks...

IMG_20101205_103012.jpg

IMG_20101205_102946.jpg

Thanks for looking and PLEASE feel free to offer any advice on the shed and his conditions. This is the first winter I have had him and I want him to get through it as best as possible.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Those pictures with your daughter and the hose are priceless. I LOVE the one with her hand on her forehead looking at the camera. I am giggling so hard, She is saying "Dad you really need do something about that tortoise...." oh my gosh, sooooooooo cute!!!!! Looks like a fun afternoon!! I'd would have been laughing sooo hard!

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
yeah it was awesome. the kids have so much fun with him. we love that big guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.