Some questions about my new hermann's

Jack Petterson

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi, my name is Jack, and I recently got a 4-year-old Hermanns tortoise named Oogway. and I have some questions.

Should I feed him more than once a day, How much should I feed him, I have done a lot of research on their diets so I think I have that one covered.

What should his basking spot be at temp wise?

Is it normal for him to sleep a lot?

Is it bad that he sometimes rejects food?

He hasnt pooped in little under two days, is that bad?

I want to provide the best care I can for my lil friend so please give me some suggestions.

thanks -jack

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
1-feed him enough in the morning so that there’s a little left over at the end of the day.
2- 95-100 degrees
3-For a new tortoise, yes, it’s normal. But if you’ve had him for about a month or longer, then I’d make sure your basking spot is reaching 100 degrees.
3- nope! He might just not like the food. Tortoises can be picky.
4- not necessarily. I would just make sure that you soak at least every week, and even more because you just got him. I would soak daily in warm water and see if he poops if it’s really bothering you.
Please read these links thoroughly to make sure that you’re giving the best care possible-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
Hi, my name is Jack, and I recently got a 4-year-old Hermanns tortoise named Oogway. and I have some questions.

Should I feed him more than once a day, How much should I feed him, I have done a lot of research on their diets so I think I have that one covered.

What should his basking spot be at temp wise?

Is it normal for him to sleep a lot?

Is it bad that he sometimes rejects food?

He hasnt pooped in little under two days, is that bad?

I want to provide the best care I can for my lil friend so please give me some suggestions.

thanks -jack

Usually you might be able to gauge how much your tortoise eats by what he/she leaves over, like @TechnoCheese said. You'll recognize over time his/her intake will increase. It's definitely normal for your tortoise to be sleeping a lot if it's a hatchling. I would not let the basking spot go beyond 95 degrees for a hatchling because they are considerably more sensitive than older tortoises. You might notice they'll try to hide under the a shady area often as hatchlings. Also, I would not let temperatures fall lower than 75 degrees for a hatchling

Jack Petterson

Colorado
Thanks so much guys! he has warmed up a ton to me and has started eating more, I think the problem was I had a 75 watt basking bulb and i didnt think it was hot enough so I upgraded and I keep his basking spot at around 100 degrees and he is a lot more active, I also have starting building a add on to his current enclosure to make it bigger for him. still hasnt pooped tho lol. thanks again! -jack