Some questions about weather and Burmese Mountain Torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
I have a few questions, really. I recently discovered the Burmese Black Mountain Tortoise and totally fell in love with them. I don't plan on getting one any time soon, I have much work to do building a table and such, but I was wondering if anyone could get me some care information or a sheet? One of the issues I'm having is thinking of what torts would be suited to Kansas weather, as its all over the place. Cold winters, really hot summers, humid springs, its everywhere, and I understand they'd need an outdoor home eventually.

One unrelated question I had was related to housing multiple species together. Does this apply to yellowfoot and redfoots together?

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Ryuu2713 said:
I have a few questions, really. I recently discovered the Burmese Black Mountain Tortoise and totally fell in love with them. I don't plan on getting one any time soon, I have much work to do building a table and such, but I was wondering if anyone could get me some care information or a sheet? One of the issues I'm having is thinking of what torts would be suited to Kansas weather, as its all over the place. Cold winters, really hot summers, humid springs, its everywhere, and I understand they'd need an outdoor home eventually.

One unrelated question I had was related to housing multiple species together. Does this apply to yellowfoot and redfoots together?
............Inside or outside they will need high humidity. Outside they will need a lot of heavy shade and water to lay in. Its best if the shade comes from tall trees and then a second or third layer of dence bushes/small srubs ect. Shade cloth works too. In Winter even when cold they must be humid. The Black or phayrei does the best in cool weather (if healthy) and can safely take a short night time low of 40F, IF IT WARMS UP quickly in the morning. Emys emys dont understand cold weather but can be trained to go in a heated hut. Phayrei would rather sleep outside in a spot they know in advance that the Sun will shine on them first thing in the AM.*thermostrategies,v morgan/c.schaffer EMYS mag.2001 Austra. Vic

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You can't get better advice for Emmys than from this man. Consider yourself lucky.

About the red and yellow foots, I would not recommend mixing species.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
Tom said:
You can't get better advice for Emmys than from this man. Consider yourself lucky.

Yes! I was hoping to hear from him, his reputation around here is pretty big. I really like these torts, but I'm unsure if Kansas weather really suits them. I may need to look into something with less strict requirements.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ryuu2713 said:
Tom said:

Yes! I was hoping to hear from him, his reputation around here is pretty big. I really like these torts, but I'm unsure if Kansas weather really suits them. I may need to look into something with less strict requirements.

I most certainly don't have an answer for your question, but I have decided that they are not suitable for my area. I love the species tremendously, but it is just too hot and dry where I live. I think it's really great that you are taking this into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.