Some Things Happening At My Place Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I freaking love daisy in the 'rain', something about that one is so symbolic, kinda peaceful.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Tom said:
ShadowRancher said:
Great pics! Tuck and Trey look very smooth. All of them are, of course, gorgeous.

Awe, thanks. Tuck and Trey (and Tulee, who I gave away) were my first three tortoises that I raised with the full "wet" routine from hatching. I am still pretty happy with the results. Daisy started out with the dry routine before I got her and was already pyramided, but she was my first "guinea pig" with the wet routine. I started slow with her, but gradually got it wetter and wetter. She's now four years old and each of her scutes and growth lines is a living record, or showcase, of dry vs. hydrated. You can actually see the transition from wet to dry in the changing angles of her pyramids. I raised Scooter and Bert and from hatchlings and Deloris was a year or two old when I got her. They are victims of the dry AND the "intentionally grow them slow" routine. I've had Bertha and Chewy for a little over a year, and who knows what they went through before coming to me. The history is a bit spotty, but what I was told didn't sound great.

you need to go take a picture of Deloris so we can see her too :D the all look great. they are lucky tortoise. it looks like they are living THE life.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
BrinnANDGupta said:
I want all of my sullies to look like Trey and Tuck when they get that age.

Me too!!! You have no idea.

I love my adults, but I am so sad that I did not know better sooner. I smile every time someone posts a pic of a smooth one.

Weda737 said:
I freaking love daisy in the 'rain', something about that one is so symbolic, kinda peaceful.

The sprinkler had been on for a while and she just walked right in there. For the longest time, she did not like the water. I'm sure glad she changed her mind.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Those are awesome pictures, Tom! You should snap more of the goings ons of your little compound. I love it when Aldabraman shows random pics of his giants. Those of you who have multiple torts on here should show em off to us who will never be able to have more than 1 or 2, since were so jealous. Hahaha

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice photos Tom. Your weather is warmer than ours here in AZ.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Our irragation is off for the winter.. so we dont have 'rain' or rain. it better change soon.. not that im not enjoying this sunshine.. but......Hay is very expensive and its going to get worse..
I hear there is a change coming....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laura said:
Our irragation is off for the winter.. so we dont have 'rain' or rain. it better change soon.. not that im not enjoying this sunshine.. but......Hay is very expensive and its going to get worse..
I hear there is a change coming....

My friend Cory sent me a link today explaining the "La Nina" phenomenon. Its saying that the rainless conditions (or much lower than normal rainfall) will continue into June here. Crazy, huh? Looks like my sprinklers will be running overtime. I'm also getting low on my rainwater that I use for rinsing my torts. Our well water is really hard and alkaline with a lot of dissolved minerals. I collect, filter and store rainwater to rinse them with after their well-water soaks to keep the hard water stains to a minimum. If we don't get some rain n the next month or two, I'm going to run out.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Great pictures, love the sulcatas breeding and nest digging!

I got 24 eggs. Her usual amount. 3 were broken. My lizard din't mind helping me out with the broken ones.

So are you going to post pictures, so I can pick "my egg" (you know the one that will be a dud) :p:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You want ANOTHER one?!! Sheesh you are worse than me... :D

I didn't take a pic this time, but I'll get you one of this clutch so you can pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.