Some tips for tortoises that will only eat lettuce

Tolis the tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Salmiya
Lettuce is not nutritious for tortoises, and it has very low calories. Here is what you can do if your tortoise will eat only lettuce:

These are tips that have worked for me, they may not work with other tortoises.

1.) Stuff other vegetables inside a leaf of lettuce

Stuff vegetables and other things included in your tortoise's diet into a lettuce leaf. Don't choose a lettuce leaf that is too large, and don't put too much things inside of it. Feed it to your tortoise. It is likely that your tortoise will not notice that there are other vegetables in the lettuce. With each day, gradually reduce the amount of lettuce you are feeding your tortoise, and slowly increase the amount of other vegetables you are feeding your tortoise. Over time, your tortoise will get more used to eating other leafy greens and vegetables.

2.) Treat your tortoise!

Lettuce is a delicious treat for tortoises. Encourage your tortoises to eat more variety of food by giving them a piece of lettuce after they finish their food. Slowly reduce the amount of lettuce you give them each time they finish their food.

Read the forum for more information! These are only 2 good strategies.

Tolis the tortoise

Salmiya
What species of tortoise are you giving this advice for? What kind of veggies?

I'm talking about tortoises in general, that will eat only lettuce. People should already know what kind of foods their tortoise species eat. The reason I didn't add specific foods, is that each and every tortoise eats different things.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
When I was trying to get Kiwi to eat hay (inexperienced me didn't know much about mazuri), I would stuff it inside Romaine. Fortunately I found that they don't need hay in that form until they are older. This is a good post that is helpful. If you slowly introduce foods into their diet, the'll eventually not make a fuss about eating it. Make sure to not give anything that is toxic though!

NewLeoMominTX

DFW TX
I've been re-hydrating the Mazuri pellets and smearing them on the lettuce so my baby gets more nutrients that way. He/she/it is pretty picky and only loves lettuce right now.