Somebody come get these poor babies!!!

Clueless Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
I found this guy on craigslist who is selling baby sulcata torts. The way he is housing them is inhumane. No uvb, no heat lamp, they are literally in bins on top of one another. I would go and get them but I just moved. He is located in San Jose, California. . I'm not in the Bay Area anymore so I can't do it myself but If someone gets them, I will take one and can help find homes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's how most of the people selling them house them. That's why so many of them die and then people say babies are hard to keep alive.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I found this guy on craigslist who is selling baby sulcata torts. The way he is housing them is inhumane. No uvb, no heat lamp, they are literally in bins on top of one another. I would go and get them but I just moved. He is located in San Jose, California. . I'm not in the Bay Area anymore so I can't do it myself but If someone gets them, I will take one and can help find homes.

$120 rehoming fee..... what an “a** hole”

Jessica Yue

Fremont, CA

I saw the pictures posted by most of the breeders online are like this. If the females laid tens of eggs, i think it will be hard for the breeder to host each separately in a large enclosure.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I saw the pictures posted by most of the breeders online are like this. If the females laid tens of eggs, i think it will be hard for the breeder to host each separately in a large enclosure.
If the breeder cannot adequately care for the babies which hatch, he/she should STOP breeding his/her tortoises. They could easily just break or not incubate the eggs or only incubate a few eggs rather than dozens or hundreds.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!

12 weeks old and zero growth is bad news. I am hoping this is an older picture after they hatched and isn’t REALLY how they are being kept.... but that’s just wishful thinking. The concerns here go way beyond overcrowding.

I’m with zovick on this one. In all likelihood, crushing the eggs would have the same final outcome and would have been much more humane.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why would you think they need to be housed individually? Host?

Its no problem to house them all together as babies as long as their needs are being met. The pics in that ad make it appear that their needs are not being met. That is the issue.

qiangzhu

Washington
12 weeks old and zero growth is bad news. I am hoping this is an older picture after they hatched and isn’t REALLY how they are being kept.... but that’s just wishful thinking. The concerns here go way beyond overcrowding.

I’m with zovick on this one. In all likelihood, crushing the eggs would have the same final outcome and would have been much more humane.
Just curious, if they don't hatch the eggs, but the eggs are anyway laid, can the eggs be eaten or sold like chicken eggs or quail eggs?