someone stole 300 sea turtle eggs !

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
turtle+eggs.jpg

By RYAN GORMAN

A Florida man was arrested after being found with nearly 300 sea turtle eggs, authorities said.

The unidentified St. Lucie County man was caught by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) agents after a local snitched on him for taking the eggs from a beach.

Agents checked a sea turtle nest and then used a canine unit to track down the egg thief, who has at least one prior arrest in 2002 for the same crime.

A backpack with 299 sea turtle eggs was found in the man's possession, the FWC said.

Sea turtles are a protected endangered species in Florida, and the man faces both state and federal charges for the thefts, according to the agency.

The eggs are sold on the black market for about $30 per dozen, according to the Palm Beach Post.

They are seen as an aphrodisiac by some cultures that bake them into food and even use them in religious ceremonies.

Egg stealing appears to be a problem in the Sunshine State.

Numerous people have been arrested for pilfering sea turtle eggs, including a man with multiple arrests for the crime since 2005.

Penalties for disturbing sea turtle nests are stiff – up to five years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine.

A message left with the FWC seeking more information has yet to be returned.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/08/...stealing-nearly-300-sea-turtle-eggs/20949076/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would do more to him then 5 years and a fine. He would never be able to steal again, let alone breath. The greed of humans makes me sick.
I think they should start standing guard of these eggs during the laying season. Anyone caught or seen disturbing them, yell once, shoot twice.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I was just in Florida for almost a week and there were 2 nesting siting blocked off with 4 sticks & yellow caution tape!! I kept thinking to my self that some loser who don't care is going to steal those eggs!!! Every morning I checked! But how easy it is to take do to how dark it is on the beach & that these people don't give a damn about what they are doing to the animals, just thinking of $$$$!

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Wow, helping the eradication of a species all for a measly 750 bucks. I don't get criminals.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Wow, helping the eradication of a species all for a measly 750 bucks. I don't get criminals.
Criminals need money. Their point of view is: we are helping in the eradication of a measly species for a massive 750 bucks. I hope he finds consolation with the Hefty fines he faces.