Something is wrong with my tortoises eyes

cami.ridgeway817

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I noticed something wrong with my Cherry Heads eyes when I took him out for his soak this afternoon. Any thoughts / suggestions? The enclosure is 87 on the basking side with 27% humidity. The cool side is 77 with 55% humidity. He has a large hide, eats pellets, carrots, dandelion greens, occasional spinach.

Attachments

• 7EFEE9B9-712A-4F8E-9DEE-B436FC56B702.jpeg
    7EFEE9B9-712A-4F8E-9DEE-B436FC56B702.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 31

Chubbs the tegu

Ma

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I noticed something wrong with my Cherry Heads eyes when I took him out for his soak this afternoon. Any thoughts / suggestions? The enclosure is 87 on the basking side with 27% humidity. The cool side is 77 with 55% humidity. He has a large hide, eats pellets, carrots, dandelion greens, occasional spinach.
In addition to everything Chubbs said, What sort of heating and lighting are you using? What type of UV bulb? Not the brand, but the type? What substrate are you using and is it damp?

cami.ridgeway817

Georgia
In addition to everything Chubbs said, What sort of heating and lighting are you using? What type of UV bulb? Not the brand, but the type? What substrate are you using and is it damp?
Attached is a photo of the heating bulbs we are using. The substrate is cedar mulch and i dampen it daily

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    679.6 KB · Views: 13

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Attached is a photo of the heating bulbs we are using. The substrate is cedar mulch and i dampen it daily
Red bulbs aren't good for tortoises. Use a CHE on a thermostat to maintain ambient. RFs also don't need basking lamps. LEDs for light and an HO bulb for some mid day UV.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just about everything in these conditions is wrong for a redfoot tortoise. Please read the caresheets on here. You and the tortoise will both benefit and you will have a healthy tortoise in the making!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ur humidity is way to low. Red foots need high humidity (80-90%) ur temps should be 82-86 throughout the enclosure day and night. Ur diet needs to be adjusted. Read thru this care sheet and come back with any questions. Good luck!
Thread 'Redfoot Tortoise Care Sheet'
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/
Agreed
There is no hot and cool side needed. An ambient temperature of 80 to 86 is what you want. With 80 to 84 being perfect.
Your humidity is also too low. You need it at or above 75% always.
You also seem to be feeding a very limited diet. Offer more variety. And include fruit.
What has been said about your lighting and heat source is also true.
Your humidity and warmth requirements can be easily obtained with a closed chamber enclosure.
It's just about impossible to provide that high humidity and maintain the correct temperature without a lot of change with any enclosure that has an open top. Sides. Etc. Orchid bark in a closed chamber enclosure can soak up water and slowly release it as humidity.
And CHE provide warmth. Night or daytime. Without extra light. Bright lights stress out RF.
For UVB you want a T5 strip florescent tube UVB light