something pink protrudes from star tortoise tail hole

swati83

Hello,
This is is Swati and i have a pair of star tortoise aged approximately 2.5 to 3 years. one of them is around 4 inches.. it has been eating fine and quite active. But since past few days i observed that when i soak it , or put it under running water or when it urinates something pink protrudes out from his tail hole. Then it retracts back immediately. i was concerned as to what it is.. is it normal for all tortoise to do so ? if someone can please advice me on the same.

fern4

Hello,
This is is Swati and i have a pair of star tortoise aged approximately 2.5 to 3 years. one of them is around 4 inches.. it has been eating fine and quite active. But since past few days i observed that when i soak it , or put it under running water or when it urinates something pink protrudes out from his tail hole. Then it retracts back immediately. i was concerned as to what it is.. is it normal for all tortoise to do so ? if someone can please advice me on the same.
I'm going to guess you have a male and it's his penis. My 2 year old male will "flash" his penis while soaking and going to bathroom. I was shocked the first time I saw the entire thing. I might never be the same again :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Yep, sounds like you've got a little boy who's becoming a man.
Nothing to worry about as such, but beware of an increase in aggressive or sexual behaviour towards the other tortoise.
I don't know much about Star's, but the torts may need to be separated.
Most torts do not do well in pairs.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
are interesting reads on this subject.
And a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you,Swati, and your pair of Stars.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Pics will tell us for sure but it does sound like you've got a boy showing you his man parts.

swati83

Thanks for your valuable replies.. i do have a video of the same.. i will click pictures next time when i see that..