Something You Don't See Very often InThe Wild

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Interesting! We have a few of these scurrying all about now too. Yesterday, i found a smallish Spotted Salamander on the outside steps down to our basement. It was very very dry, not moving. I gently moved it to our fountain where it sprang to live once it hit the warm water.

Good spot!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Last Thursday this spider caught her first dragonfly Picture 016 copy.jpgas I was watching her I noticed a much smaller male hanging not far from her Picture 018 copy.jpgToday he is making his move on her Picture 006 copy.full.jpg Picture 006 copy.jpg This is something I've never seen before and it is fascinating to watch his dancing around all over her. But it's 98 degrees here at the Beach and to hot for me to stay out in the sun and watch till the end.

Len B

10 Year Member!
She laid an egg this morning, so I guess the male made contact. Picture 007 copy.jpgi wasn't expecting an egg so soon after mating, but her body was so much smaller this morning I searched for an egg case and found it near the base of a cholla. also spotted another male close by. This web has been there for a while but never seen a spider in it so I wasn't sure what type of spider made it.Picture 008.copy.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here is another one that you hear during summer but seldom get a close look at.cicada face.jpg cicada side.jpg He was hanging on the hand rail out side the front door this morning.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I actually found Vladimir walking around his yard with something sticking out of his beak the other day. I thought it was a leaf or a branch at first, then I discovered it was a cicada that was in the process of coming out of its shell. He dropped it when I reached for it, and it didn't appear to be harmed at all. I put him outside of the yard and he flew away later that day.

upload_2019-7-26_10-16-12.png

Len B

10 Year Member!
I actually found Vladimir walking around his yard with something sticking out of his beak the other day. I thought it was a leaf or a branch at first, then I discovered it was a cicada that was in the process of coming out of its shell. He dropped it when I reached for it, and it didn't appear to be harmed at all. I put him outside of the yard and he flew away later that day.

View attachment 277275
We haven't had many cicadas this year,just the annual ones. But when a brood emerges the box turtles search them out as they come up in the early morning and late evening.