Sometimes things work out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
As most of you have most likely read in another post, I love hingebacks...especially the Bells hingebacks. I am blessed to have this wonderful old male from years back, when I was actively breeding them. Foolishly years ago, I got rid of most of my turtles/tortoises to try to salvage a marriage...huge mistake. I was able at the time, to keep my most favorite male hingeback.

At that time, the Bells were very common and very cheap at the pet stores. Due to importation restrictions, they are now hard to find. I have spent this year searching everywhere for adult females.

I would see an ad only to find out someone beat me to it, or I would be the first and then the people would decide to sell the animals to their vet or somebody else. Finally I found a female when I was short on cash. I needed to sell stocks to raise the cash. By the time that happened...less then a week, of course somebody else had gotten her. I kept hearing stories of ones found wandering streets and put into rescues. Unfortunately always after the fact, once somebody else would decide to keep them. So as you can see, it was a very discouraging year.

I had been lucky enough early on to locate a youngster and have been having a blast with her. Trying for positive thinking I call it a her and named her Chime. Deep down I suspect it's a male, but can't hurt to dream right? I tried to get over my disappointment and think only of the future with little Chime.

Awhile back a member in here mentioned she had one she was thinking of selling. I had learned my lesson from all the other times of getting my hopes up only to have them crushed. This time I said nothing to anybody...only my husband knew. I even kept myself from asking too many questions about her. I just was afraid I would jinx the whole deal.

Well Bella arrived this week, so now she is here I can scream from the rooftops about my new girl!!! She is friendly and outgoing. Started eating worms (her favorite food) the day she arrived. Can't wait to see what my male thinks of her.

I would post a picture of her, but as of yet I have no camera. Maybe Bella's last caretaker would allow me to post the photo she sent me of her.

Ladyrags thank you so very much for this wonderful opportunity of caring for this very special lady.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
great story!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Congrats Jacqui - patience pays off!

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
That is an amazing story! Thanks for sharing, it gives hope to those of us searching for females of our own:). Congrats on your new little girl!!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
YAAAAAAY FOR YOU! That's great news!!!!!!!!!!

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
Hard work truly pays off. congrats!!!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Thanks guys. She is just a real sweetie. She came out of the shipping box friendly and alert. As soon as her soak was over, she was ready to eat and has continued since. She acts like she has lived here for years.

It's been an interesting week. I had just gotten home from being on the road with my husband in the semi. We had spotted several what looked to be Easterns in a couple of states, but because of traffic, could never stop to be sure they got safely off the highways. Was wonderful to see them, but sorta made the day frustrating because we had to leave them where they were and just cross our fingers they would make it safely.

Finally two days later we came upon one where it was fairly safe to stop. Unfortunately this lovely female Eastern had already been hit. Making a snap choice I estimated that she would not be able to survive her injuries especially so close to hibernation and did reluctantly take her with us.

I am pretty sure she will survive her injuries under care. She has lost a segment of shell that ends of exposing her left shoulder/leg area. I fear that if she were ever to go back into the wild, she now lacks the ability to pull back into her shell for safety. A coon, bird, ect.., could easily eat her out of her shell from this area. Looks like she will be staying in captivity.

She hasn't eaten yet, but that's not worrying me at this point. She is alert and not shy in the least.

I also had the pleasure of visiting a friend who raises Russians and getting to see all her beautiful animals and a few adorable hatchlings. She had recently had a female lay a double egg. It looks like two normal eggs that are joined in the middle. So far the egg has chalked up and is looking fertile. Am excited to see how it works out.

While there I picked up a sweet little Russian mail another breeder had ship via her to me. I just love those kinds of gifts!!:) Miska is to replace my elderly Yuri, who no longer has any interest in breeding. This guy does have ideas about what to do with my females. :D No real breedings, but he was thinking about it.

Was sweet to be able to put him in with my females right away as he had already undergone a year's quarantine with somebody who does it like I do. So frustrating with Bella, having to wait before my guy can see his new partner....but....

"I got a female Bells!!!!!" * still doing the happy dance.:D :D

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
YAY! Enjoy her, you deserve to;)

Status
Not open for further replies.