Sonoran desert brittlebush is it safe??!!

Ruskietort

Location (City and/or State)
phoenix, az
Please help!!! My tortoise just ate a flower from a Brittlebush plant, and I can't find any info to see if it is safe.20180215_123531.jpg

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Not a big deal. Encelia sp. Apparently they have a group of compounds in the sesquiterpene family. Not terribly toxic, and mostly a problem if eaten regularly over a long time.
One compound in the group yields Artemisinin; it is one of the best treatments for malaria.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s a desert tortoise native food source.

Which isn’t to say it’s the best thing for a Russian tortoise; but it’s a regular part of the Sonoran desert tortoise diet. :)

westernstar

Phoenix, AZ
I know this is an old thread but to resurrect it a bit, I have tons of these in my yard. Anyone know if the Brittlebush is ok for Sulcatas to eat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would think that desert tortoises have evolved to eat this and be ok with it, but if the plant doesn't occur in the sulcata's native range, evolution has not worked that kind of wonders with his body. I wouldn't allow him to eat much of it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s in the sunflower family, if that helps. I don’t feed much from that plant family in general. So I’m generally in agreement with Yvonne on this one.