Sonoran Desert Tortoise Overheated

Cathy05

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
IMG_4286.JPG Nicer looking that the dog crate fort. Still gotta rearrange the dirt and rocks. I am trying for six inches of dirt to keep her cool.

Bee62

Germany
The burrow looks good. Does Hortensia use it ?
I would have placed a temperature sensor of a thermometer in the burrow to control the temp.

Cathy05

Tucson, AZ
I would have placed a temperature sensor of a thermometer in the burrow to control the temp.
Yes she kept going in and out while I was digging and was digging herself (every time my husband came by, she was digging away trying to take credit) and when it was done she went in. She came out and was waiting for her food at 5pm as usual. Then she went back in. My husband has a temperature reading laser gun at work, so I will borrow it for a week and check temps at various times of day. But I will look into a temperature sensor as a permanent add on. Thanks for the idea.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm glad she seems to be doing better, how had the weather been?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Poor things, I bet that is stressfulfor both of you. My fingers are crossed for the monsoon.

Cathy05

Tucson, AZ
Thanks! She is active and responding normally again, that is a huge relief!

SteveTheTort

Chandler
Status update? I read through this entire thread!! I am in Phoenix with a baby Sonoran Desert Tort and just thinking about his/her future (indoors mostly now, building something in the backyard for once Steve (the Tort) gets big enough...

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I have had my 2 female desert tortoises since 1999. My dog thought they were tennis balls and kept retrieving them. They have lived in a large desert area fenced off with mesquite trees and prickly pear to provide shade. I have always brought them in the garage after they go into hibernation because at some point it will get below freezing. I have never had to do anything special for the hot summers. I feed them assorted greens placed in water this time of year while waiting for monsoons to kick in (any day now) and in July we have an abundance of prickly pear berries which they love. Everyday about 5pm, I come out and they come running over for the food. Day before yesterday, I was a little late and we had real high winds. Both were in shallow burrows and didn't seem interested in coming out. I didn't worry much since they had eaten well every day during the week. Yesterday, I came out and one was waiting for me and the other was still in the burrow. Her back legs were sticking out. I touched her with a stick and got no response so I quickly pulled her out and she was gone. Two things were different this year. The deep burrow they used to have I filled in because a packrat built a nest on top of them last winter and kept coming back. They had many smaller burrows and plenty of shade but we are in a massive heat wave and temps spiked on Tuesday and its been 115 every day since. Its been hot before, but having that deep burrow helped. Their enthusiasm over the food was normal and they seemed fine. I grabbed the survivor, Hortencia, and her shell was hot. Her eyes were alert but her saliva was stringy and white when she opened her mouth. I ran her to my porch and ran warm water from the hose on her. I decided to put her in my guest bathtub which was cool porcelain and ran a couple of inches of room temperature water and she was happy to soak while I called the vet. Of course, it was after 6pm, so not much luck. I was advised to continue soaking her. I will say her shell cooled down quickly like within a couple of minutes. I have been reading a lot of bad stuff about bacterial infections and other side affects from overheating. Today, I came home and she was sleeping in the tub, but had not touched her romaine, so I let her soak again and tried my power greens which she enjoys. So far not interested. I am waiting for a callback from the desert museum. If she eats, should I pursue a vet visit? I am wondering if they will get her on antibiotics as a precaution. But I hate to pay for an urgent care visit if they are going to tell me to watch her for signs of infection. If she doesn't eat by tomorrow morning, I will take her in anyway. Thoughts?
wow good luck with that, my tortoise also overheated when it was about 2 months old i places him on a 10 gallon tank with a Actual Heater and aluminum foil on top a sprayed water to increase humidity. (this was when i did not know nothing) after 5 mins a came back she/he was upside down with bubbles on its mouth (which was a sign of overheating) after that i took him/her out and was HOT i placed him on shallow water for a couple of minutes he survived i don’t know how but i got lucky. the temps was around 120 degrees