Soon to be Hermann tortoise mommy!

mkaykay

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hi everyone!!
I recently joined in hopes that I will be getting a Hermann tort soon!
I've done loads of research and I think a Hermann tortoise is best for us. It seems like personalities are great with these guys. Unfortunately I am having a difficult time finding where to buy one. I've been reading everywhere that pet stores are no no's but they don't have Hermanns anyway.
Any info or stories about personalities would be great!
I also think the size is perfect for me. A Mediterranean tort is probably best as well since I live in MN.
I'm open to hearing any advice and stories. Like I've said I've done tons of research but now I really want to connect with other turtle and tortoise lovers. :)
I also will add that although turtles/torts have always been my favorite animal I've never owned one before.
I have a dog but she is the sweetest and most gentle dog there is. Extremely well trained. So I'm not worried about her and the tortoise at all.
Thanks for any reply!
Michaela

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
welcome to the forum, we a hermmans 3yr male. and yip great little things they are :)

lots of great info here and members will happily help any way they can.

keep on tortin' :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
We won't worry either as long as you make it impossible for your tortoise and dog to be together. Why risk it? The stakes are too high. It's not hard to keep a dog out of a habitat, and your tortoise should not be walking around your house anyway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michaela, and welcome to the Forum!

mkaykay

Minnesota
Hi again. Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I just got my tort in the mail today. He was shy the first two hours but then he's been cruising around non stop. Ate a little broccoli.
He stopped going in his shell when we were watching him or talking to him right away.
Decided on the name turbo.
He's only a month old so I'm so glad he seemed to adjust so well!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440896015.351927.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440896025.254398.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440896036.471122.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He is so tiny and beautiful.
Those water bowls are flip hazards though for a tortoise that small.
Buy a couple of cheap, shallow, terracotta saucers, wide enough for him to soak in and bury them in the substrate so he doesn't have to climb in and out.

mkaykay

Minnesota
He is so tiny and beautiful.
Those water bowls are flip hazards though for a tortoise that small.
Buy a couple of cheap, shallow, terracotta saucers, wide enough for him to soak in and bury them in the substrate so he doesn't have to climb in and out.

Thanks for the tip. I already took the food bowl out - way to big. The water one he's been able to get in and out of and I built the dirt up on the side. For now I cut the sides off a paper plate and put his food on that - he is supervised so he isn't eating the plate. :)

mkaykay

Minnesota
I was at our huge plant store and even the small saucers for under pots were all narrow edges, more so than his water bowl. He tipped twice yesterday so I completely leveled out his rock so he couldn't fall off that. He tipped over again today and of course we're gone all day at work :( I panicked. He popped in the bath, he ate very good so I think he's okay. View attachment 146252But he tuckered out and burrowed early tonight. I just don't know if he's bored? But I tried to put a lot of options in his habitat. What else can I add to help with boredom? I already see he loves to climb but he just topples backwards when he's trying to climb on the wall :( he's just too small yet.

I attached a picture of his habitat but there's been some changes. The big rock is completely level with the ground. Food dish is out. There's a ramp so he can get off the log he managed to climb and its moved into the corner and blocked so he can't get stuck on the side by the wall. He's gotten up there a few times and I was surprised he didn't go off the edge. But he tried the sides then just sat there patiently until I put a board in. Smart cookie.
Also moved the succulents.

Also, I've read some posts about people being frustrated with us "newbies" but I did a TON Of research before buying a tort. I seriously felt like a "beginner expert" until I got him. There is also a ton of conflicting information. Lastly, nothing prepares you completely. It's all about being hands on. So thank you to those who have politely and patiently responded. It's greatly appreciated. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441067119.374854.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
With the changes you have made, it looks pretty good to me.
Ideally, of course, a larger enclosure would make him happier, but that is always the case.
I do like spider plants, mind.

mkaykay

Minnesota
Shoot, I thought this was big! I can make it bigger. Just bought a spider plant but need to let it sit for a few months to get the fertilizer out :/ I'm so afraid of picking up weeds that look like it. I don't my flower or weeds well. First time gardener this year.