Soon to be Russian Tortoise owner!

Marcospoon

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Hello everyone, I intend on purchasing a Russian tortoise for my family in the coming days and I have a few questions to ask. I have a 40 gallon terrarium and a wooden tortoise habitat for it. It will spend a majority of its time in the wooden habitat (I’ve read that is the best option). I’ve been researching, reading and watching many YouTube videos and there is a lot of conflicting opinions about some things. Here are the questions I have:

1) What is the best lamp bulb and wattage to use for the tortoise?

2) If I purchase a hatchling or yearling, will the bulb or wattage differ from that of an older tortoise?

3) If I use the all-in-one mercury bulb, will I still need another lamp or can I just use the one?

4) How warm should the basking area be for an adult? A hatchling? A hatchling or yearling?

5) What is the best substrate mixture for the terrarium and habitat? I really don’t want to use any organic soil or sand. I saw a video from the Kamp Kenan channel that recommended repti bark, but other owners do not like it. I purchased coconut fiber and repti bark, but I can return it if it’s not good for the tortoise.

6) What should the humidity level be and what’s a good way to maintain it? I heard from some that humidity is bad and others that it is needed, especially for hatchlings and yearlings. Thoughts?

7) What are some safe, live plants I can use in the terrarium? Should I keep them in their pots or stick them directly into the substrate? Can they grow in substrate that isn’t organic soil? I would like to create visual barriers along the sides of the terrarium to prevent the tortoise from hurting itself. I will also add solid color strips of background on the outside of the terrarium behind the plants.

Thank you so much for any help and advice you can provide!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello everyone, I intend on purchasing a Russian tortoise for my family in the coming days and I have a few questions to ask. I have a 40 gallon terrarium and a wooden tortoise habitat for it. It will spend a majority of its time in the wooden habitat (I’ve read that is the best option). I’ve been researching, reading and watching many YouTube videos and there is a lot of conflicting opinions about some things. Here are the questions I have:

1) What is the best lamp bulb and wattage to use for the tortoise?

2) If I purchase a hatchling or yearling, will the bulb or wattage differ from that of an older tortoise?

3) If I use the all-in-one mercury bulb, will I still need another lamp or can I just use the one?

4) How warm should the basking area be for an adult? A hatchling? A hatchling or yearling?

5) What is the best substrate mixture for the terrarium and habitat? I really don’t want to use any organic soil or sand. I saw a video from the Kamp Kenan channel that recommended repti bark, but other owners do not like it. I purchased coconut fiber and repti bark, but I can return it if it’s not good for the tortoise.

6) What should the humidity level be and what’s a good way to maintain it? I heard from some that humidity is bad and others that it is needed, especially for hatchlings and yearlings. Thoughts?

7) What are some safe, live plants I can use in the terrarium? Should I keep them in their pots or stick them directly into the substrate? Can they grow in substrate that isn’t organic soil? I would like to create visual barriers along the sides of the terrarium to prevent the tortoise from hurting itself. I will also add solid color strips of background on the outside of the terrarium behind the plants.

Thank you so much for any help and advice you can provide!
Hello!

I wrote a post to you on your other post "hello". Check it out...I didn't see this until later.