Soon to be the proud owner of a box turtle. I need some good expert advice.

Ekerekes

Location (City and/or State)
Escondido California
Hello!
I am not new to reptiles. I have owned 7 snakes and a Chameleon. I am however completely new to Turtles. I work for an animal hospital and this beauty was rescued from some dogs.

57681306648__689C59CF-4E26-4B15-B183-C19D310747BF.jpg

I was asked by a staff member if I would like to take it home. I have always wanted a turtle. They are one of my favorite animals to learn about. I would also be giving her a safe place to live because her shell is damaged. I come from a family of animal rescuers.

After asking my roommates it was decided that we would give this baby girl a home. I am going turtle house shopping this weekend. I was going to visit the reptile store known as LLL Reptile as I have been there many times in regards to previous pets/ it’s fun to check out on the weekends.

If anyone has any suggestions on products in regards to habitats, food, water pools anything that would be needed. I am all ears! Thank you for reading!

Soon to be Turtle mom!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
Do you know what species he is? I don't but he's lovely.
There are caresheets for most species of tortoises and turtles here so have a look in the Species section to see if there is one for him. This forum is the best available for up to date information.
Before you spend money in pet stores which are profit driven and usually have little or outdated knowledge, check what you need here. That way you'll not only get safe and suitable equipment but t will save you a lot of money too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was told he’s a box turtle
It is a Terrapene ornata luteola, or desert box turtle. I've recently been told that "they" have done away with the "luteola" designation and now all ornata are Terrapene ornata, but I've been unable to find any information on this change in nomenclature.

NickA

Mid Atlantic
If you have an area outdoors where you could build a secure pen that would be the best option for any box turtle. If not the care info on the site will lead you in the right direction.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Congrats. i agree with an outdoor enclosure bc Boxies need a LOT of room. Temporarily you could get a very large rubbermaid container, like the Xmas tree size ones. For a link to how and what to feed them, click on my signature.

Ekerekes

Escondido California
4DC3131A-9CD7-4B65-901A-D4DE8A099386.jpg

This is what I got from the reptile store recommended by the reptile expert there. I’m going to put some turf down for the bottom not newspaper.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
View attachment 270439

This is what I got from the reptile store recommended by the reptile expert there. I’m going to put some turf down for the bottom not newspaper.
Oh, dear: that's AWFULLY small for an adult box turtle. I think they need a LOT more space to stay healthy and happy. The pet store should NOT have sold you that for an adult box turtle.:(

Ekerekes

Escondido California
She’s not full grown yet so it’s ok for now. I think I’m gonna get her the bigger one for outside anyway. Thanks for the heads up. Everyone (the dr’s and nurses) I asked ( I work at an animal hospital) say it’s fine for now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She’s not full grown yet so it’s ok for now. I think I’m gonna get her the bigger one for outside anyway. Thanks for the heads up. Everyone (the dr’s and nurses) I asked ( I work at an animal hospital) say it’s fine for now.
It might be fine for now, except for the newspaper on the floor. Your box turtle doesn't look all that young to me. Looks to be full grown. Newspaper might make it easier for YOU, but is not ok for a box turtle. The turtle needs to be kept on moist substrate. I use clean soil from my yard. Orchid bark is also a good one. If your vet and the assistants have told you this is an ok enclosure, I'd consider changing vets. Size is way too small for a turtle of that size. I don't see any injuries that would require the tortoise to be kept on newspaper. I've seen much worse than what has happened to this turtle.

Please read the care sheet pinned close to the top of our box turtle section.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I came on this site seeking advice. Not to be ridiculed. Thank you all for your advice and have a pleasant day.

Not sure how anyone has ridiculed you. All anyone has done is give advice to help your turtle.

Really do hope you stick around.