Soon to be the proud owner of a box turtle. I need some good expert advice.

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
No one is ridiculing you. We are trying to educate you. The turtle is the one who will suffer if things are not done correctly. Most vets and pet store employees do not know enough about turtles to give good advice. The people on here have lived and learned the hard way.

xBapes

Location (City and/or State)
Cockeysville, MD
I came on this site seeking advice. Not to be ridiculed. Thank you all for your advice and have a pleasant day.

Hi,

Please understand everyone on here is mostly experiences. I am also new to Box Turtle care and both Yvonne and Colleen have really helped me learn a lot so far about how to care for my Eastern Box Turtle. No one is here ridiculing you, but keep in mind, these are delicate species and they need proper care or they will refuse to eat, skin can dry out, etc. I live in an apartment and I can’t do an outside pen so I bought a 50 gal Rubbermaid stock tank (53” L x 32” W x 12” H) and provided 4-5 fake plants and a hide. I have a cover on half of the enclosure so that at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the enclosure is always moist. Mine is thriving just fine but he was field collected and held in indoor captivity for some time. However, that doesn’t apply to all Box turtles which is why people ‘passionately’ express their opinions. Don’t take it the wrong way [emoji16]