soon to be tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyena

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MI
Hello..im Sarah:D
So...for a while now i have been completely in love with these reptiles.
This coming monday ive decided i will get my first tortoise. My mind was set on a ball python for some time...but i changed my mind because im now able to afford a russian tortoise. Im soooooo very excited. Just thought id say hey and any first timer advice (what to expect, and any other tidbits) is GREATLY appreciated

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
russians are a great tortoise for first timers. They are hardy, and personable. Awesome once they get to know you provide the food, then they won't leave you alone.

hyena

5 Year Member
MI
dmmj said:
Welcome
russians are a great tortoise for first timers. They are hardy, and personable. Awesome once they get to know you provide the food, then they won't leave you alone.

exactly..thats another thing that drew me away from getting a python, they seemed very touchey and that made me nervous.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You'll be doing yourself a HUGE favor if you get one from a breeder instead of a wild caught one from the pet store. Russians are a great tortoise. Lots of personality and very hardy.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I owned a ball python for almost 20 years a great pet, but not as "nice" as a tortoise.

hyena

5 Year Member
MI
I will be sure to get a captive bred.

dmmj said:
I owned a ball python for almost 20 years a great pet, but not as "nice" a as tortoise.

Yea i think they are beautiful..and one day im sure ill have one but its just not right for me now. I just feel lie a tortoise is perfect for me :p

by the way what do you guys think about purchasing a baby tortoise online? ive considered it but it make me a bit nervous.

by the way what do you guys think about purchasing a baby tortoise online? ive considered it but it make me a bit nervous.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-soon-to-be-tortoise-owner#ixzz1TNYE1cBj

Missy82

5 Year Member
south wales
I personaly wouldnt purchase one online. U dont get 2 see what ur buying and I wouldnt want my tort shipped in a box! Tho lots of people do. Ur best bet is 2 find a breeder they will b able 2 give u good advice on keeping him aswell.

Good luck with ur new tort when u get him im sure he will b great:)

River14

5 Year Member
Have you done as much research as possible on the needs of the species? Such as diet sunshine housing etc. Worst is a dry glass tank with a lamp for heat and another for UV? I would also strongly advise a captured bred tortoise but I would also advise a slightly older tortoise 2-3 years old. That way you can start loving it feeding it straight away and not worry all the time that its bout to die.

Dont get a hatchling as sweet as they are you will probbly unintentionaly kill it and feel sad. Besides hatchlings sleep a lot.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome to the forum! My first exotic was a ball and she was great except she wouldn't eat on her own in captivity, she would starve herself so me and an exotic vet force fed her a mouse once a month. It was a pain but she was very healthy otherwise. I wasn't about to sit by and watch her starve to death. My red tail boa and burmese python ate fine on their own except I had to kill the red tails rat for her and then act like it was alive then she would eat, she was the best snake of them all.

hyena

5 Year Member
MI
River14 said:
Have you done as much research as possible on the needs of the species? Such as diet sunshine housing etc. Worst is a dry glass tank with a lamp for heat and another for UV? I would also strongly advise a captured bred tortoise but I would also advise a slightly older tortoise 2-3 years old. That way you can start loving it feeding it straight away and not worry all the time that its bout to die.

Dont get a hatchling as sweet as they are you will probbly unintentionaly kill it and feel sad. Besides hatchlings sleep a lot.

trust me ive done a butt ton of reaserch ha..i even have allmost a notebook full of tricks and tips to keep them happy, care and enrichment needs, healthy balanced diet ideas, the works that ive written down to make sure ive covered everything. I went through a complete tortoise obsession a couple of months ago and was going to get one then but i ended up having to use my extra cash for somthing else.
Ha...hatchlings are very cute but i would prefer to have a slightly older one like you said

hyena

5 Year Member
MI
Missy82 said:
I personaly wouldnt purchase one online. U dont get 2 see what ur buying and I wouldnt want my tort shipped in a box! Tho lots of people do. Ur best bet is 2 find a breeder they will b able 2 give u good advice on keeping him aswell.

Good luck with ur new tort when u get him im sure he will b great:)

yea im gonna go with a breeder...id be so anxious that somthing would go wrong during shipment..and i dont like thinking of a tortoise in that little plastic container for 16 hours

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sarah:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do you have your place all set up and ready to go?
check you local shelters too. russians end up there a lot.
tell us what your set up is, what kind of diet you plan to feed, post pics if you can. We can help makes changes now
before you stress with a new animal in there..
that is.. IF any changes are needed. :)

hyena

5 Year Member
MI
Laura said:
do you have your place all set up and ready to go?
check you local shelters too. russians end up there a lot.
tell us what your set up is, what kind of diet you plan to feed, post pics if you can. We can help makes changes now
before you stress with a new animal in there..
that is.. IF any changes are needed. :)

i allready checked shelters...no luck. (they never answered any of my emails!) I live in Michigan and theres only one reptile rescue. (my computer is a crack heat and the usb wont work so i dont have pictures) :( I plan to get a large kids swimming pool (i have an extra room in my house that i can dedicate to my tort), heat lamp, unglazed terracotta dish for food (i heard its good for beaks) and a larger one for water, hides and new UV light im geting this weekend cuz yesterday i broke the one i have *face palm* Im goin to cover a part of the pool with someboards so he doesnt allways feel so exsposed. Id like to plant some plants in there as well. It stays pretty warm in my extra room because theres no AC but i will check ambient heat and humidity regularly. Right now i just have fake plants because again, i dont want him to feel so out in the open. I plan to feel him greens and weeds that are safe fo him which there are plenty of around here. I have my own huge garden that i can also get safe veggies and greens from. I also have calicium dust with D3. I plan on penning off a spot in the garden that i can put him out in for a bit each day to get some natural sunlight....
whew...sorry for the longness haa...im sure i probably missed somthing but i tried to give an allright picture :] dont hesitate to throw some advice my way

hyena

5 Year Member
MI
i allready checked shelters...no luck. (they never answered any of my emails!) I live in Michigan and theres only one reptile rescue. (my computer is a crack heat and the usb wont work so i dont have pictures) Sad I plan to get a large kids swimming pool (i have an extra room in my house that i can dedicate to my tort), heat lamp, unglazed terracotta dish for food (i heard its good for beaks) and a larger one for water, hides and new UV light im geting this weekend cuz yesterday i broke the one i have *face palm* Im goin to cover a part of the pool with someboards so he doesnt allways feel so exsposed. Id like to plant some plants in there as well. It stays pretty warm in my extra room because theres no AC but i will check ambient heat and humidity regularly. Right now i just have fake plants because again, i dont want him to feel so out in the open. I plan to feel him greens and weeds that are safe fo him which there are plenty of around here. I have my own huge garden that i can also get safe veggies and greens from. I also have calicium dust with D3. I plan on penning off a spot in the garden that i can put him out in for a bit each day to get some natural sunlight....
whew...sorry for the longness haa...im sure i probably missed somthing but i tried to give an allright picture :] dont hesitate to throw some advice my way

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
rescues work, also you can always advertise on craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.