Sophie Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrilac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Please don't critisize my for my inexperience I'm in a learning curve with my tortoise:(

I had such a shock this afternoon. I was supervising a visit with my 4 year old and our Cherryhead hatchling “Sophie”. I was holding Sophie on my palm on the ground and I told my daughter to stay real still around Sophie so she wouldn’t get scared. My daughter held out her hand very still to let Sophie sniff her and got bit- hard too! Sophie wasn’t letting go. I explained to my daughter that Sophie thought she was food…
So I guess I’ve learned the hard way that tortoises bite. That’s the last time my children interact with Sophie until they are much older (tortoises are certainly not for preschoolers).

All I could think of is the picture of Carl being bit by his perfect little orange hatchling. I’m wondering how common it is for redfoots to bite? How hard are they able to bite, can they break bones? I’ve been hand feeding Sophie at night, should I stop?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Redfoots will take test bites to see if it is eatable (espically red color). I would suggest you forgo the hand feeding as she sees hands and fingers as a food source. Their jaws probably aren't strong enough to break bone on a large mammal (you).

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have learned the simple truth :D that everything with a mouth can bite :p
Almost any tortoise thats used to you can bite you, mostly thinking that your nice pink digit is something good to eat.
An adult Redfoot would give you a good pinch and could break the skin.
It would take an adult Sulcata, Aldabra or Galapagos tortoise to break a finger.

Danny

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I can't stop laughing.
Frankly, I would be more afraid of a little kid biting my tortoise than the other way around.
But the point was already made...they may bite first and then get their facts straight later.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Personally, I would not stop letting my kids around Sophie, I would just make sure that no fingers are put near Sophies face.

Surely it was traumatic for your daughter, and if that is the last interaction she will remember with Sophie, you are setting your daughter up to think torties are hurtful... just my humble opinion.

Blessings,
Purpod

carrilac

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thank you everyone for your comments and reassurance. It’s funny within a few seconds of Sophie biting my daughter she wanted to hold her again. I think seeing my daughter get bit was way more traumatic for me then her. She announced to me this morning that she LOVES tortoises. So all is well!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yay! I was thinking about this today when my tort accidentally bit me (I was feeding him by hand and I should have set the little lettuce bite down instead of offering it). He has quite the little set of jaws but couldn't even get my whole finger as he's little. I can see how much a bite from a full-grown tort could hurt!

sakkakth

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
norrath
My tort bites my toes when we go out to the park and I wear sandals.... at this point he is well aware they aren't food too! Doesn't try to nibble my hands ever tho.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
"...She announced to me this morning that she LOVES tortoises. So all is well!"

Oh that's xllnt! 'Give That Girl A Prize!' as the old saying goes ~ Wonderful Kate ~ glad to hear it! :D

Blessings,
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.