Sounds of the jungle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
Interesting idea came to me today. I posted about tortoise food earlier and people said that a good variety of food is good to help stimulate a tort and what not, but would playing the sounds of a Jungle for them during the day also help stimulate their senses as well (I know that the way torts hear is kind of up for debate). I was just thinking it would be pretty boring sitting in silence every day of your life too! Thoughts?!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I think it's a good idea!!! You should give it a try and let us know! :)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I think it would be interesting to see. They might appreciate it.

Little side-story on sounds for tortoises here. I have an own air-conditioned shed where I have a refrigerator and counter-top for preparation of tortoise food. This is where my hatchlings live. As no one wants to sit in silence, I suppose I'm guilty of playing rather loud music to listen to while I'm taking care of everything. At first I was worried I would bother the hatchlings; then I noticed something pretty interesting. Since when I played music I made food, the hatchlings learned after 3 days that whenever music was playing, it was food time! Everytime I turned on the music, they were up and out of the moss 5 minutes later, wandering around and searching for new food.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I have a waterfall in my toetoises water dish and it seems to help them find the water and think they like the sound

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I hear ya ...........:p
Airborne vibrations are picked up by the tympanic membrane. Substrate (ground or other conducting surface on which the reptile is in close contact) vibrations are detected by the quadrate. The tympanic membrane or quadrate vibrates, in turn vibrating the extrastapes and thus the stapes. This causes the vibrations to be conducted through the middle ear cavity, through the windows to the fluid-filled inner ear cavity housing the sensitive cochlear duct, whose sensory clusters then transmit the information along the auditory nerve.
In those reptiles lacking the tympanic membrane, what would be the middle-ear cavity is divided, by a bony partition, into two chambers. The extrastapes passes through the outer chamber, into which opens the eustachian tube. The inner chamber is called by different names, depending upon whose skull it is in…..
Chelonians is called juxtastapedial sinus
In those species studied, they respond to low frequency sounds in the 50-1,500 Hz range, similar to that of crocodilians. Aquatic species studied show some difference from terrestrial species. For example, Clemmys guttata (spotted turtle) shows a peak sensitivity of 4 dB at 80 Hz, while Geochelone carbonaria (red-footed tortoise) exhibits a much lower sensitivity, with a peak of 50 dB at 300 Hz.
In comparison, human hearing is in the range of 20-20,000 Hz, with intensity at roughly 120 dB. The approximate threshold of pain is 130 dB, with a rock concert coming in at 130 dB, and hearing damage occurs at >90 dB Normal conversation is between 60-70 dB The typical background noise in a classroom is 20-30 dB A motorcycle going 5 mph is about 100 dB, busy traffic 70 dB, rustling leaves 20 dB, and a human breathing normally is 10 dB.
Groundborne vibration sensitivity has not been well studied ……
JD~

Sources
1994-2012 Melissa Kaplan
Baird, I. The anatomy of the Reptilian ear. In, Biology of the Reptilia, Gans, C.; Parsons, T (Eds.)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, to keep my pair happy, i have from day one played bob marley or any kind of boom- boom music.we call it head bobbing music here.other than a good diet, clean home and a swimming pool , what more could they want. ;lol;

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
momo said:
hi, to keep my pair happy, i have from day one played bob marley or any kind of boom- boom music.we call it head bobbing music here.other than a good diet, clean home and a swimming pool , what more could they want. ;lol;

puff ...puff...give!.......Wake ~N~ BAKE ! :p
GOOD OL" BOB! :D

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
N2TORTS said:
momo said:

puff ...puff...give!.......Wake ~N~ BAKE ! :p
GOOD OL" BOB! :D

you know, i am quick but it took me a few mins. puff- puff. lmao, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.