South Florida invasive fish collectors

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been fascinated by invasive fishes here in Broward County Florida.
I've collected Salvini. Jewel, Jaguar, and other South America as well as several African cichlid species.
There are the very large cichlids including Midas. Red Devil, Convict, Mayan, Oscars etc. But I'm primarily interested in the "fishtank" sized species. Up to 6" in length.
I'm going to be making a few trips in a few days to several spots I've marked out to catch specimens on hooks or in fish traps to place inside one of my two 1,700 gallon fish ponds.
Is there or are there any local TFO members that are interested in going on an aquarium fish hunt with me?
Please contact me through PM if so.
Ed

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I've collected Salvini. Jewel, Jaguar, and other South America as well as several African cichlid species.
There are the very large cichlids including Midas. Red Devil, Convict, Mayan, Oscars etc. But I'm primarily interested in the "fishtank" sized species. Up to 6" in length.
I'm going to be making a few trips in a few days to several spots I've marked out to catch specimens on hooks or in fish traps to place inside one of my two 1,700 gallon fish ponds.
Is there or are there any local TFO members that are interested in going on an aquarium fish hunt with me?
Ed
I went on a peacock bass fishing trip with a professional guide last year down in Miami and had a blast. I’d totally be up for catching some fish with you but I couldn’t make time for a few weeks at best.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I went on a peacock bass fishing trip with a professional guide last year down in Miami and had a blast. I’d totally be up for catching some fish with you but I couldn’t make time for a few weeks at best.
Boy
Peacocks are everywhere
Don't waste good money on a guide

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I stopped in Davie, Florida
I didn't go all the way into Hollywood.
I caught SQUAT. But I saw several marauding Butterfly Peacock bass. They're beautiful. But I wasn't rigged up for them.

Attachments

• 20220330_120729.jpg
    20220330_120729.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220330_120748.jpg
    20220330_120748.jpg
    728.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Today I went to my actual hot spot but I only bought my large trap.
I caught small mosquito fish in uncluding an unusual "Dalmation" that unfortunately hopped back into the water. A few Mayan cichlids that are easily the most common fish in our waterways.....And one lone keeper! A 1.25" Butterfly Peacock bass.
At this size they look a LOT like a largemouth. But they have an "eye" spot near the tail. A dead giveaway. They also lack the solid lateral line that a Florida large mouth has. And has a series of spots or broken lines down the side.
He has his own 1,700 gallons of pond for now. But he may soon have company because I'm going back there with fishing tackle and live bait as soon as I can.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks to a member on another forum I've found a location for Midas cichlids in a water system in south Miami.
5-11-2022
I caught 3. Kept just one. Two are photographed.
The orange guy is at least 11" and every bit of 2 lbs. Unfortunately the photo doesn't do him justice.
He straightened out my hook and broke my 4lb test line as I netted him.
The other one is the same species. Just a dark variant. I caught two like that and released them. Both were much smaller.
An interesting fact is that in their native range, it's thought that only 20% of Midas are brightly colored. But in the south Florida feral population its just the opposite. With about 20% being the dark variant.
However, they're all dark until a few months of age and about 4".

He's now in my fish pond #2

More to come soon

Attachments

• 20220511_120530.jpg
    20220511_120530.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220511_121658.jpg
    20220511_121658.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Ed
I wish. And hey I'm Ed too😂

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Where are these fish from originally that ended up in your lakes and streams?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Where are these fish from originally that ended up in your lakes and streams?
They look to me Tammy, that they are the same fish that I have seen in Jamaican & Central American rivers....I'm guessing these were at one time rooted in "Pet releases"

(How fitting, a Sandals beach ad pops up on the right as I type the word "Jamaican")

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
They look to me Tammy, that they are the same fish that I have seen in Jamaican & Central American rivers....I'm guessing these were at one time rooted in "Pet releases"

(How fitting, a Sandals beach ad pops up on the right as I type the word "Jamaican")
Yes
From the aquarium hobby