South Texas Outdoor Enclosures for winter

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
The move to south Texas as many of y'all know has just been a solid year ago. Lots of progress of course. But lots of running out of money too. Ha. Just a quick thread on some of the outdoor enclosures for winter. Our winter is very very short. Today it was 92 and it will be in the mid 80s until about January. Anyways. The nights csn get cool during winter but the days will reach 70-80 degrees. So our typical construction in Dallas was full blown insulated and heated structures to keep the animals warm from November through early May.

The sulcatas have a smallish shed. It's single slanted roof is 5' tall in the front facing southwest, and the back is 4' tall facing north northeast. We covered the top portion with plastic that can removed during suitable spring-fall months that don't require night heat.
image.jpeg

Then I added a plywood Fromt with an access door, along with a 20" half hide. Kinda like a tortoise igloo. Access door is the right side.
image.jpeg

YES I know the plywood is crooked. I've had pneumonia the past few weeks and did this in a hurry. It will be corrected before its painted, don't worry.
image.jpeg

And the inside is heated with a 100w red bulb at night when nights get in the 50s.
image.jpeg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's new . I like it simple and cheap . That's in the new / old garden area ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sure hope your feeling better and not over doing it. Get 100% before doing too much or it will linger on longer.
Love your updates. Keep them coming when you can.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Really cold
Nights are low 40s and mid 50s during the day. Usually only lasts mid January to early febuary.

That's NOT really cold. lol Those are higher temps then our normal winter highs. :rolleyes:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Texas winters are nice . Never gets too cold .