spayed female dog w/drippy urine problem

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Misty, 2.5 year old doberman, was spayed at 6 months. She has started leaking urine while laying down. It has gotten so bad that I have to block her out of the rest of the house and only allow her into my bedroom, which has always served as her 'crate.' My room smells very strongly of urine.

Am I going to have to put a diaper on her when she's in the house (which is most of the time because she is my faithful companion and is with me always).

Does anyone know of any medication or treatment for this problem?

She has never learned to walk on a leash, and is deathly afraid of going in my truck (won't jump in, I'd have to pick her up and she weighs 80lbs), so I've not taken her to the vet about this problem. But if you all can't offer any advice, I'll have to take her in.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
Hi Yvonne
There is such a thing as spay incontinence. I have seen several large breed dogs with this problem. There is a medication called Proin that's works well. It is a veterinary prescription so she would have to be seen to get it. Also it would be a good idea to rule out a UTI.
Hope this helps!
Cyndi

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Yvonne,
Cyan is absolutely right! It is super common in Dobermans. My 11 year old Doberman has been on Proin and a hormone for 8 years. The medications are totally effective!! The problem is common.image.jpg
Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you so much. It looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of leash training. I appreciate the help.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Try to find a vet that makes house calls. I found one that has a mobile home converted into a hospital. She can do everything a vet can do in a permanent building, and do it in your driveway. The only problem is she doesn't do reptiles, but I have 5 dogs and 2 cats that need taken care of. Dobies are smart you shouldn't have any problem with leash training.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
This condition generally happens when the dog is sleeping. Until my dog was controlled, I put a large absorbent pad on her bed, covered it with a blanket and changed the pad and blanket as needed. This protected her bed and the floor from urine. You can also use a waterproof mattress cover over her bed, add blankets to be washed frequently.
My dog needed her dose of Proin increased several times and then the hormone added, but the result was 100%. :)

majxmom

This is a common problem in older female dogs but can happen in male dogs as well. The muscles surrounding the urethra sphincter weakens and can't hold it tightly closed anymore, and when the dog is recumbent, urine leaks out. My vet was able to give my female dog a hormone that tightened things up but my male dog had no help for him. He was very embarrassed about leaking but I could see it was involuntary. I bought PoochPads from amazon. Do not confuse these with Wee Wee pads, which are lousy and bunch up. The PP are a little costly but reuseable so in the end they will cost the least. Go straight for the largest size regardless of dog breed, as they may plop down anywhere on it so you want a large pad. My poor old guy would leak continuously on it so I had three or four pads. Whenever he got up, I would whisk the soiled pad off and throw it right in the wash, and leave a clean one down. Rusty clearly appreciated the efficient manner that the soiled pads were dealt with, and stopped looking so ashamed. They never wore out. I probably washed them every day for two years and they never fell apart. I still have them for when the latest generation get old. Best $40 I ever spent. The urine smell was minimized for sure, practically non-existent because I changed the pads all the time.