Special request

Status
Not open for further replies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Someone mentioned in this thread about self policing...

Sometimes I post controversial topics... really... not kidding...

Sometimes the conversation of those topics take a bad turn. I can pretty much see where it is going. Now... if I'm in one of those moods I'll continue to respond. Sometimes the response is warranted and constructive. Other times not responding is the best course of action.

To the OP... censoring really puts a damper on a conversation. Just ignore the person who posted if you have a feeling it is going to detract from the conversation.

TylerStewart said:
Isa said:
Calling Meg an Anti Sulcata is very wrong.

Good grief people, I never called her anti-sulcata in this thread, that was at least a week ago. In the future, I'll clarify that she's "anti-sulcata breeding (which she clearly is)" and not just "anti-sulcata." You're all being entirely too emotional about this. It was a simple question I asked, and a simple answer I got (several posts ago).

I have no reason to personally attack anyone, and I don't personally attack anyone, unless you're using the term very loosely (meaning, you don't know what a personal attack is). Saying that someone acts like they're 12, to me, isn't a personal attack. It's stating facts as I see them. If someone said I was an idiot, I wouldn't care - seriously. As long as I know I'm right, it doesn't matter what people think of what I say. You can't lose a debate when you're using common sense, fact and the truth; only when you start involving emotion and talking before thinking.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would hug more trees but the bark hurts to much.

Homer

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
I do not see the point of this thread. It is juvenile to be picking fights with a couple members after so blatantly bating them with this thread.

I also will not tolerate being called Anti-sulcata one more time. Mods, take a peek at this, because if it happens again, its a personal attack.

Interesting. You call out Tyler as acting "juvenile", yet you want the moderators to examine "personal attacks" on you.

IMO, Egyptian Dan put this thread to rest with a couple of excellent responses.

Brian

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Homer said:
Meg90 said:
I do not see the point of this thread. It is juvenile to be picking fights with a couple members after so blatantly bating them with this thread.

I also will not tolerate being called Anti-sulcata one more time. Mods, take a peek at this, because if it happens again, its a personal attack.

Interesting. You call out Tyler as acting "juvenile", yet you want the moderators to examine "personal attacks" on you.

IMO, Egyptian Dan put this thread to rest with a couple of excellent responses.

Brian

Good point Homer (Brian), Mods are not babysitters!

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
Candy said:
Where's Rich? I'm really starting to miss him and his debates. He didn't have rules. It was much more fun that way. Right Chad?

I was actually reading this to my husband (He's a High School Teacher) and he said that maybe to mention on here that people can "self police" their own thread they don't actually need moderators to do it for them. If somebody says something off topic you can just ignore it and go on. You don't have to respond to that poster. Lately it feels like these rules that people are asking for is making this site complicated. I mean how do you make everybody happy? When Rich used to post I didn't see moderator's coming in deleting portions of his thread and I'm wondering why we're doing it now? Why are we now moving threads and not just telling people to get back on topic? It's becoming too confusing when you get on here and your post has been moved somewhere (who knows where) else. Just my opinion.

thank your husband :) ignore and go on sounds mature and lovely

M

Maggie Cummings

llamas55 said:
Candy said:
Where's Rich? I'm really starting to miss him and his debates. He didn't have rules. It was much more fun that way. Right Chad?

I was actually reading this to my husband (He's a High School Teacher) and he said that maybe to mention on here that people can "self police" their own thread they don't actually need moderators to do it for them. If somebody says something off topic you can just ignore it and go on. You don't have to respond to that poster. Lately it feels like these rules that people are asking for is making this site complicated. I mean how do you make everybody happy? When Rich used to post I didn't see moderator's coming in deleting portions of his thread and I'm wondering why we're doing it now? Why are we now moving threads and not just telling people to get back on topic? It's becoming too confusing when you get on here and your post has been moved somewhere (who knows where) else. Just my opinion.

The forum has changed since Rich was here. I'm thinking we *would* delete portions of his posts now. And I agree that I think there are too many rules and moderators ARE babysitters. I think the tone of the forum has changed. It's not as friendly and people fight more and are more rude to each other. And Rich was just one person with an out going personality. There are several people like that here now, but they get jumped on and yelled at if they post something fun and 'out there'. ust my opinion

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm guessing you guys don't venture to very many lists. This is one of the better lists barring the perceived attitudes of a few.

Isa said:
You are right Maggie, I think the forum is not as friendly as before.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
maggie3fan said:
llamas55 said:
Candy said:

The forum has changed since Rich was here. I'm thinking we *would* delete portions of his posts now. And I agree that I think there are too many rules and moderators ARE babysitters. I think the tone of the forum has changed. It's not as friendly and people fight more and are more rude to each other. And Rich was just one person with an out going personality. There are several people like that here now, but they get jumped on and yelled at if they post something fun and 'out there'. ust my opinion

I don't know if I can agree with that Maggie. When I came on here a year ago I remember some of your battles and how Yvonne would back you up (and you would do the same for her) and then I found out she was your sister and the whole thing made sense. You guys are sisters and you both know tortoises. I loved to read those threads. Yes I agree that some of them got out of hand and someone had to come in and say lets get back on topic, but all and all I loved to read them because I could look past all the crap and see that you guys have personalities and attitudes and if I didn't like the thread or the post I would just not go to it the next time I got on. I love to debate and discuss, I realize that there are also people who don't and I respect that. I like to hear people be themselves and not pretend. I still love coming on here and talking with all of you. I have learned so much about tortoises that I didn't know before. I would have not learned the proper way of taking care of Dale if it wasn't for this forum and that's what counts. And P.S. I don't think that you would have deleted any of Rich's posts because he would have sued you for free speech rights. :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Candy said:
maggie3fan said:
llamas55 said:
Candy said:

I don't know if I can agree with that Maggie. When I came on here a year ago I remember some of your battles and how Yvonne would back you up (and you would do the same for her) and then I found out she was your sister and the whole thing made sense. You guys are sisters and you both know tortoises. I loved to read those threads. Yes I agree that some of them got out of hand and someone had to come in and say lets get back on topic, but all and all I loved to read them because I could look past all the crap and see that you guys have personalities and attitudes and if I didn't like the thread or the post I would just not go to it the next time I got on. I love to debate and discuss, I realize that there are also people who don't and I respect that. I like to hear people be themselves and not pretend. I still love coming on here and talking with all of you. I have learned so much about tortoises that I didn't know before. I would have not learned the proper way of taking care of Dale if it wasn't for this forum and that's what counts. And P.S. I don't think that you would have deleted any of Rich's posts because he would have sued you for free speech rights. :D

You need to spend some time on other lists or forums...I agree with Ej in that respect. This is a better forum than most. I am just saying that the over all tone has changed. It's just not as friendly as it used to be.
And...Yvonne would NEVER back me if she thought I was wrong. So you really can't play the sister card with us. We are different then most.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Maggie what I posted before was not meant to be "the sister card". I loved the way you guys backed each other and not if your were wrong that's not what I was trying to say. You know I love you! I loved reading your posts then and I love reading them now. You have changed and grown also in the last year. I don't want check out other forums because I'm on this one so much I don't have the time nor does my husband want me to spend anymore time on these. I love the people on here and I love their relationships.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
I am just saying that the over all tone has changed. It's just not as friendly as it used to be.
You are not alone! It has changed and not necessarily for the good. I had 2 emails in 2 days this week that said this very thing! There is way too much attitude here these days and it keeps many from participating. It is really disappointing to hear that from numerous long time forum members. :(

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I've only been using the chats for almost 11 years. There is a distince pattern in the net personalities of some people.

They start of as humble newbes soaking up all the information they can. If they are good they try to learn all the disiplines and not become slanted towards any one disipline or point of view. If they are bad (my personal opinion) the become indoctrinated into a single point of view and appear to force it down peoples throats. Then there is the 'I want to be right' syndrome... Even I have this to an extent.

Then the newbe is now an expert... The good newbe accepts that their point of view is just that... their point of veiw. The bad newbe disregards where they have obtained their information and show total disrespect for not only the source but the future newbe.

I'm not even going to touch the political backbiting that occurs off list.

I've lost quite a few 'friends' due to this syndrome. The root cause is not remembering your 'humble' beginnings.

maggie3fan said:
You need to spend some time on other lists or forums...I agree with Ej in that respect. This is a better forum than most. I am just saying that the over all tone has changed. It's just not as friendly as it used to be.
And...Yvonne would NEVER back me if she thought I was wrong. So you really can't play the sister card with us. We are different then most.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Free speech does not exist in a forum, Congress shall make no law concerning speech, we all agree to certain rules when we joined. Sorry my libetarian side pops up every so often.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
-EJ said:
I've only been using the chats for almost 11 years. There is a distince pattern in the net personalities of some people.

They start of as humble newbes soaking up all the information they can. If they are good they try to learn all the disiplines and not become slanted towards any one disipline or point of view. If they are bad (my personal opinion) the become indoctrinated into a single point of view and appear to force it down peoples throats. Then there is the 'I want to be right' syndrome... Even I have this to an extent.

Then the newbe is now an expert... The good newbe accepts that their point of view is just that... their point of veiw. The bad newbe disregards where they have obtained their information and show total disrespect for not only the source but the future newbe.

I'm not even going to touch the political backbiting that occurs off list.

I've lost quite a few 'friends' due to this syndrome. The root cause is not remembering your 'humble' beginnings.

maggie3fan said:

I have to agree with Ed also. I have been on this forum since it started, and it has changed so much. It's like there is a full moon out there. People are always ready to jump down someone's throat. And sarcasm seems to run ramped here lately too. Where has all the kindness and patience gone?
That being said.....this is still the best forum out there. There's only one other forum out there that extends the same amount of leniency as this one does. I really just lurk for good information on all the others.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I missed this one...

Free speech does exist on any forum depending on the owner. Most are reasonable and do allow free speech. If that was not the case the forum would surely collapse. If it didn't... the membership are sheep.

dmmj said:
Free speech does not exist in a forum, Congress shall make no law concerning speech, we all agree to certain rules when we joined. Sorry my libetarian side pops up every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.