Species/breed confusion - new to tortoises and trying to get it right

ceciljchen

Location (City and/or State)
Shenzhen
Hey all. I look forward to learning from all the experienced members in this forum. I'd recently been looking after my sister's tortoise -Tortilla - while she's been away on vacation. Tortilla was passed on to her by a friend who was moving countries and my sister is new to tortoise care as well. While I've had Tortilla, I've been doing a tonne of reading up and information gathering on tortoises.

My sister says Tortilla is a sulcata, but I'm now not so sure. Initially, I assumed she knew about the tortoise, so I began looking up baby sulcata care, moved Tortilla from her tiny cardboard carton to a plastic tub, bought coconut coir and dry peat/sphagnum moss for a mixed substrate, planted some bermuda grass in a small area of substrate, got her terrcota water and food dishes, basking brick, set up an extra UVB light, placed thermometer/hygrometers in 3 different locations in her tub, heating pads for under and above her hide, included a warm-ish night light and am propagating some spider plant babies to place in her enclosure soon. I also placed a PVC right-angle elbow as an additional hide/tunnel near her basking area.

My sister left her a bag of Mazuri 5M-21 tortoise diet saying I need not feed her more than half or one soaked pellet a day. I see contrary information online. Meanwhile I picked up a bag of Zoo Med's Natural Grassland. I soak 2 pellets of each and squish them into a small mound for Tortilla, but she hasn't taken to the Zoo Med diet, completely ignoring it for the Mazuri, which I've learned is less than ideal for this species.

I now soak her nearly every morning, and after about 10-15 minutes, and successful indication of having relieved herself, I pat her down and place her back in her tub for a meal. I've tried a mix of other fresh greens with little success. She seems to prefer the Mazuri. Today, however, she began grazing on some of the bermuda grass that began sprouting yesterday, She grazed for a nice long while, made her way to her food dish, munched on some mazuri, leaving half of it, and the whole mound of Grassland, untouched. She seems to eat only once a day since I put her in the larger tub. when I first got her, in her small carton enclosure, she would munch on soaked Mazuri at least twice a day. so I'm quite confused by this behaviour.

It's been 3 weeks since I began looking after Tortilla and I've searched extensively online for knowledge on caring for this beautiful creature, but having seen so many pictures of sulcatas, it strikes me that Torti is somewhat different, physically, in appearance to a lot of the baby sully photos online. I wonder now if she might be a hybrid, and if so, I wonder whether I'm doing things wrong. Here are some photos of her after a soak. I hope they're good enough for any of the many people in the know here to identify what species she is and let me know what I ought to be doing differently to address some of the concerns I mentioned above. And also just enjoy photos of baby Torti - especially that heart-shaped marking on her "butt". She's a very lovely creature, in my opinion.

WechatIMG1741.jpeg WechatIMG1742.jpeg WechatIMG1745.jpeg WechatIMG1746.jpeg WechatIMG1747.jpeg WechatIMG1749.jpeg WechatIMG1755.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

You have a leopard tortoise. Here is the care info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Most tortoises don't like the ZooMed food by itself. Soak a small piece and mix the mush in with other stuff like Mazuri, greens, or freshly sprouted grass. Mazuri is a good food, but I prefer to use it as a supplement, not a staple. I offer it to babies a couple of times a week, usia;;y mixed with chopped up weeds or freshly sprouted grass.

Come back with all your questions after you get through those threads.

ceciljchen

Shenzhen
Hi Tom and Yvonne. Thank you. It's fantastic to finally know for sure.
I really appreciate the links in your response, Tom. I'll be going through them in detail. I'll try mixing the 2 foods together and see if she'll eat properly. While she seemed to enjoy the fresh sprouts today, I did try to feed her shredded carrots and grass a few days ago, but she pretty much ignored that. I need to do more reading up on Leopard tortoises. She does seem an extremely shy type.
Thanks again for your insights. Have a great day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom and Yvonne. Thank you. It's fantastic to finally know for sure.
I really appreciate the links in your response, Tom. I'll be going through them in detail. I'll try mixing the 2 foods together and see if she'll eat properly. While she seemed to enjoy the fresh sprouts today, I did try to feed her shredded carrots and grass a few days ago, but she pretty much ignored that. I need to do more reading up on Leopard tortoises. She does seem an extremely shy type.
Thanks again for your insights. Have a great day.

That type of leopard does tend to be a bit shy, but all of them tend to be shy as babies. The personality will come out more as he/she gains size.

It takes time to get them eating the right foods. You can soak the Mazuri and smear that all over other stuff too. In time, the tortoise will eat more and better things.

Good luck!

Destben

Kansas
What a cutie! This is my leopard tortoise Torterra her nick name just happens to be tortilla lolIMG_7108.jpg

ceciljchen

Shenzhen
That type of leopard does tend to be a bit shy, but all of them tend to be shy as babies. The personality will come out more as he/she gains size.

It takes time to get them eating the right foods. You can soak the Mazuri and smear that all over other stuff too. In time, the tortoise will eat more and better things.

Good luck!

That's really comforting to know, @Tom .

I'll exercise more patience. This morning, after her soak, she went straight for the sprouting bermudas, but when she made her way to the mixed Mazuri and ZooMed, she just ate bits of the mazuri that stuck out around the mixture and left the rest of the mound. I'm a little concerned she's not eating a sufficient amount of food, as she leaves her food dish untouched throughout the day, apparently. She has grown from 6.7cm to 7.0cm in the past 2 weeks though, but I didn't move her into the new enclosure until a week ago, and the grass and ZooMed were not available to her until 2 days ago.

When you said, "That type of leopard", is there more than one? Is there any resource online about the different types and differences in care, environment, diet, etc?

I'm still making my way through the info you posted earlier - I will post back with more details about he setup and care relative to the new knowledge gained, hopefully by the end of the day here.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read through and respond - I really appreciate the help :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you said, "That type of leopard", is there more than one? Is there any resource online about the different types and differences in care, environment, diet, etc?

Here in the USA we have two types. The South African type and the regular type. But the "regular" type can be from one locality, or mixes from multiple localities. Over here, people have been putting any kind of leopard tortoise with any other for decades, and there is really no way to tell what is what anymore.

There is a third type, the Ethiopian type, that some people have in Europe and Asia, but we don't have them here.

In the wild, the last study I saw claims there is only one species, no subspecies, and that there are 11 "clades" of distinct and different types throughout the enormous range. The ones here in the states can be from one of these clades, or a mix of two or more.

I have no idea what has been done with them in your country over all the years of importation. I just know yours is a leopard from at least one of those clades, and he/she is a fine looking tortoise.

Destben

Kansas
Hahaha - that's awesome!! Hi Destben. Thanks for sharing a photo of Torterra - she's adorable! How old is she? Do you find that she seems to enjoy musical sounds?

She will be 5 months in 6 days. Not really sure if Torterra is a She but it stuck for now lol. I haven’t tried to much music with her yet she’s still in her shy stage. She loves food though!IMG_7187.jpg