Species I.D.

Leroy23

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hey guys. I just acquired this Tortoise. Can someone tell me the correct species?. One person told me Russian and someone else told me African.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221206_072003_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221206_072003_Gallery.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey guys. I just acquired this Tortoise. Can someone tell me the correct species?. One person told me Russian and someone else told me African.
You have an African Spurred Tortoise, known in the Latin nomenclature as Centochelys sulcata.

What Maro2 Bear said above regarding the pyramiding is correct. The tortoise has been kept too dry and possibly without enough UV light. To correct the problem, look for the care sheet/info which Tom has written for this forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
African sulcata. Here's a good care sheet for you to learn:

zovick

10 Year Member!
When the back of your tortoise looks like a WW II hand grenade instead of being smooth like a bowling ball, the tortoise is said to have pyramiding. In other words, when the centers of the scutes are raised up well above the plane of the rest of the shell, they are called "pyramided".

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Welcome from another Angelino. This forum will give you great advice, he definitely has not been well cared for. read the care sheet and ask lots of questions - especially about housing b/c these guys can't just "live outside" unaided here in LA, its too cold at night, and they need a lot of room

Leroy23

Los Angeles
When the back of your tortoise looks like a WW II hand grenade instead of being smooth like a bowling ball, the tortoise is said to have pyramiding. In other words, when the centers of the scutes are raised up well above the plane of the rest of the shell, they are called "pyramided".

Ok where can I find this care sheet?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles