species id

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
A friend found this guy crossing a high way in northern ohio. Wondering what he is so we can release or find placement if non native

Attachments

• IMG952014052195163616.jpg
    IMG952014052195163616.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 78

Turtlepete

South Florida
Do not release it, as it's not native to your state. Either a russian or a greek, I'm not good at identifying Testudo/Agrionemys. Someone will come along and tell you in specific, but it's best to hold onto it. Likely a released/escaped pet.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Oh wow! Poor guy was in the middle of a 4 lane high way! I'm trying to talk him into giving it to me.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Yeah don't release that. Actually looks like a Herman's to me. @HermanniChris would know. It's definitely a Mediterranean species.

Really? Hm, that was actually my first impression but then I talked myself out of it. Didn't look quite like the hermanni to me. As I said though, I suck at identifying Testudo :).

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Well I got him or her for $20 & 2 packs of cigs.....please let me know what you think. Got him or her set up temp with extra tort supplies I had till the weekend.

vqhcpi.jpg

2a82rnt.jpg

28vq3r8.jpg

2n6htgp.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
6 inches long. I have not weighed yet but he or she is solid.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You got a heck of a deal on a beautiful little female! I wish I could stumble onto deals like that!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Her shell has some spots. Is this a fungus or rott. Lord knows what she has been through.
2n2btc.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I just glad she is in your hand now.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
That is a female Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. Although this is not currently an accepted valid subspecies, they are still different than the Eastern (T. h. boettgeri) and should not be mixed. Nice find for sure.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thank you all. She's been named Hazel, at the request of the rescuer!

@HermanniChris what do you think of marks on the shell? Fearing its a fungus of some sort but I am not sure. & as I'm reading up on her care is it correct to get aspen bedding? At her size is humidity a concern? Sorry to as so much at once!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
The spots don''t concern me at all. These things get all kinds of scuffs and spots and whatnot on their carapaces and there's no reason to over-pamper them at all. Just keep an eye on it. You can keep her on aspen for now if you're concerned about fungus but it tends to be too dry. These tortoises need sufficient hydration and contrary to popular belief, they usually prefer a moister substrate. Cypress mulch or 50/50 top soil play sand mix is best for indoor use.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Great. Thank you. She is on coir & top soil at the moment. Big enclosure to be built this weekend & I will add cypress. My other two use fir bark.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Her current temp home. Looking for someone to take her & give her more room. This enclosue is the future hoom for my russian. Built it on a twin bed frame!20140524_090742.jpg 20140524_090827.jpg