Species of tortoise to get

Psyche84

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I am looking for some input on what breed of tortoise I should get. I have owned reptiles before so I am familiar with lighting and diet requirements for similar animals but I have never own a tortoise. I live in Aurora, Colorado to give in an idea of climate. Suggestions?

Thanks!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. i'm from Colorado so I am familiar with the claimant there. here are some general statements about some of the types of tortoises and their requirements. your tortoise will not be able to live outdoors year round without a heated Night box or shed. smaller species are easier to keep it indoors for part of the year, like Russians, Greeks, Herman's, marginated, box turtles. Although they are small they require a large indoor enclosure, such as 4' x 8'. read foots and box turtles require a good deal of humidity. leopards and sulcata get big and eventually will have to be kept outdoors, this can be done with a heated enclosure.
Are you thinking about getting a hatchling or adult? The care is different depending on the age. Check out the different species specific sections here on the forum and it will give you some ideas.

Psyche84

Colorado
I've been reading and researching like crazy. I know I don't want a sulcata or leopard because of their size. I want to get a hatchling or yearling.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
All the Mediterranean species could work, those are the Russians Greeks and Herman's. also box turtles, or Redfoot tortoises. The red foots get the biggest out of all those I listed. A hatchling or yearling can bees kept in a smaller enclosure, like a 54 gallon tote. you can keep the lid, cut out the holes for the light and heat source and this helps keep in the humidity and heat. and you can get them outside for natural sunlight when and if :) it warms up out there. I suggest checking out the breeders list here on the forum. I know there is somebody who breeds Greeks in Pueblo, a family member of mine got one at Christmas time.
This is a great place to learn about tortoises. Don't listen to what the people at the pet store say, they usually do not have the most updated information.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm a Red Foot man. Once set up correctly, they are easy to keep.
You must consider that even a Red Foot will require housing that is several feet square after just two years or so.
Do you have a garage that you can keep heated in the winter?

Psyche84

Colorado
That's awesome, good to know there is a local breeder as well. Thanks so much for the info, that was super helpful.
I think redfoots are really cute but I only have a small yard area since I live in a townhouse.

Psyche84

Colorado
All the Mediterranean species could work, those are the Russians Greeks and Herman's. also box turtles, or Redfoot tortoises. The red foots get the biggest out of all those I listed. A hatchling or yearling can bees kept in a smaller enclosure, like a 54 gallon tote. you can keep the lid, cut out the holes for the light and heat source and this helps keep in the humidity and heat. and you can get them outside for natural sunlight when and if :) it warms up out there. I suggest checking out the breeders list here on the forum. I know there is somebody who breeds Greeks in Pueblo, a family member of mine got one at Christmas time.
This is a great place to learn about tortoises. Don't listen to what the people at the pet store say, they usually do not have the most updated information.
Do you know who your friend got hers from? I've looked at the breeders page and cant find someone in Colorado.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Psyche84

Colorado
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Here's a good example of an indoor habitat for a redfooted tortoise:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heres-dales-new-enclosure-picture-heavy.11023/

Any tortoise you get will need something as big as this. Just because they're small, don't think you can coop them up in something small. They need roaming room.
WOW!! If only my carpentry skills were that good... Or if I had any haha :) What ever breed I get they will have a lot of room to roam. I have a second bedroom that has a lot of free space to put a habitat in, I just don't have a huge yard at the moment to build something really cool like I have seen others have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Psyche84

Colorado
Sounds like a russian tortoise would do well for you. They don't get too big, are very adaptable, and will fare better in your direr air and more extreme temperatures.

Here is a care sheet for this species and some other info too.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Thank you. I have heard they are a pretty hardy breed. The toss up is between Hermann's, Greek, or Russian.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. I have heard they are a pretty hardy breed. The toss up is between Hermann's, Greek, or Russian.

These are species, not breeds. Greeks and hermanni do better with more moderate humidity. What is the humidity in your area during the warmer months when the tortoise will be outside? I love the russians, but I must admit the hermanni are prettier.

Psyche84

Colorado
Thank you for clarifying. I don't think the humidity ever very high in Colorado, maybe 30-40% during the day.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The humidity will never be very high in Colorado. But you can control it indoors with a closed or semi-close chamber and outdoors just put a lot of plants in the enclosure and maybe who's it down a couple times a day in the summer. no matter what tortoise you get, you will have to take particular care with the outdoor enclosure to prevent flooding during the daily thunderstorms and protection from the occasional hail. People don't realize how much whether the front Range of Colorado actually gets and how quickly it does change. it can definitely be done, there are members of the forum from Colorado. It just takes a little planning and good construction :)