Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoise said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
I purchased property strategically located just for our aldabra breeding program. Our aldabras have had much influence in our lives, however anything worth while usually takes effort. I can say that our program has exceeded my expectations, a dream come true!

2927aj9.jpg

ALDABRAMAN-your photo always blows me away-you are so lucky to be able to keep the Aldabras-please keep sharing your dreamy photos!!!!

I to love your Torts. Would have them myself if I lived some place different. Just wondering, why is there no bushes or trees in their area for shade? There are so many, they can't all fit in the house can they?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know, but would guess that Greg's aldabra pen is situated where it gets plenty of shade from the trees all around the pen morning and afternoon, except for mid=day direct sun. I have wondered about the tort house too...is it an underground house?? If so, it would have to be huge to contain all those big dinos...LOL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DesertGrandma said:
I don't know, but would guess that Greg's aldabra pen is situated where it gets plenty of shade from the trees all around the pen morning and afternoon, except for mid=day direct sun. I have wondered about the tort house too...is it an underground house?? If so, it would have to be huge to contain all those big dinos...LOL

I thought that to at first, but at second look, there isn't much shade showing in the picture, unless of course the shade that is showing is actually bigger than it looks. Either way, if I come back as a tortoise, I want to live with Greg:D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I decided on Leopards because of their size, and because of my climate and space. When I was first deciding on what species to get, Tom advised either sulcata or leopard in AZ. Some others advised me on desert tortoise adoption. After learning how large sulcata get and how big and destructive they can be to a yard, I decided that was too much tort for me. I love the leopards and think they are very beautiful. I could just buy them without going through the hassle of adopting one desert tortoise (have to have existing grass lawn, no dogs, etc.). Eventually, when my leos grow up, they will have a nice 24/7 outdoor space of their own with grass and plenty of other stuff growing to eat to help keep them healthy and happy, as well as a heated house for the winter months.

M

Maggie Cummings

I actually never did make a conscious decision to have tortoises. I started helping my sister at her turtle and tortoise rescue after my on the job injury. Most of the animals I have now were either given to me or dumped on me. The only one I made a decision to buy was a Hermanni cross (Queenie) I bought from Danny. I was only supposed to keep Bob for a couple of weeks until Yvonne made room for him. He was 5 years old at that time and he's 14 now. I didn't especially care for chelonia. But once I got them I had to create an environment that they could live in. I have box turtles in a large tort table and Queenie has her own large tort table in Bob's shed. I spend my Spring and Summer days putting tortoises outside then bringing them all in. I have places outside for all my turtles and tortoises. Each animal has their own place. It does bother me when it starts raining and I can't put them out anymore. And I used to feel bad for Bob. But with his doggie door he comes and goes when he wants. There are beautiful sunny days when he stays inside and doesn't go out at all. Then there are rainy days when I see him out 'basking' in the rain with his face to the sky and his eyes closed. He goes out in the snow and digs it away so he can eat frozen grass. I think it's our responsibility to create the best environment we can for them. Bob's shed and fence cost over $2000. The tort tables didn't cost anything. Mine certainly aren't as fancy as TerryO's but they are the best I can make for them, and the outside pens are nice. So basically I think my animals picked me, I didn't decide to have any of them but Queenie. And climate doesn't enter into it at all with me...

Jacqui...I think that is the longest post I have seen you make. I loved it and you make a lot of sense...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Okay stop rolling your eyes, all you cynics out there. No judgment or argument here. I just wanna know how other forum members feel about this.

With the right amount of time, trouble and expense, any species can survive and thrive anywhere on the planet. However, I usually keep practicality in mind when picking which species I want to keep. I am wondering how much YOUR climate influences your decision about which species you keep.

I'll start. For me, my climate is a very big influence in which species I choose to work with. Its very hot, sunny and dry here most of the year. I think its a great place for adult sulcatas, leopards and obviously, CDTs to live outside 24/7. I think its a great place for russians too, but the winters might be too warm and therefore require some refrigeration for hibernation. I don't think this is all that different than my outdoor adult sulcatas needing some night and winter heat. But this detail does start to creep into the realm of practicality for me. Another example: I love Manouria. I don't have much experience with them, but everything I have seen and heard makes me think I would love them. I, so far, have chosen not to get into them because once they are big adults and need to live outside, I think it is just too hot and dry here. I know it would be possible, but I would have to have indoor air conditioned quarters for them during the hot summer days, plus I would have to run misters, sprinklers and bend over backwards trying to keep enough lush greenery alive to create the right environment for them. My decision NOT to keep Manouria is mainly due to my climate.

For me, climate plays a big role in species selection. How about you? Remember this is just for the sake of some tortoise conversation...

I agree that choosing a species that will do well in the environment where you choose to live just makes good sense, which is why I've pretty much stuck w/ European (and certain African) "plains" species, because Texas seems to suit these better...the few tropical/humidity-loving species I've dabbled with just haven't done as well for me.

lindsay44

5 Year Member
My climate is wet and mostly cold. There are no tortoises only certain pond turtles that are illegal to have as pets. So for me it was just about picking the tort that I loved the most and keeping it indoors till I move to somewhere warmer. Until then they go outside in summer (only a couple months a year and only during the day) and roam our big kitchen the rest of our rainy year. I've never considered my climate when getting tort because none would survive very well here

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Reading these very interesting posts reminded me, how in the very beginning of my turtle and tortoise keeping, considering where these magnificent animals came from was never an option. Where I lived (Nebraska), the only place to get one was really in the local pet stores. I remember, doing one of two things: 1) I would write down the name they gave for the animal and rush home to check it out in the two great ID books I had. 2) This option was buy the animal and then go home to figure it out. #2 was actually the best one, because so often these creatures were labeled completely wrong names. It was like solving a puzzle to ID some of them. At that time, we had no internet to look them up.

I remember too, spending hours at my friend who was also the Pres of our local herp club, using her computer to try to find any information on tortoise care. It was hard to find, very limited, and often quite wrong. Boy, has tortoise keeping changed! :rolleyes: Better then during my childhood and those RES (Red Eared Sliders) in the tiny little oblong island home. :(

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Great thread Tom!
No climate had no influence at for my first tort. A wood turtle that was brought into the clinic to be euthanized for not eating. or the 2nd and 3rd (pair of russians) some clown was going to 'release' back into the wild, or the 4th, RF(JacK) bought at my 1st reptile show. Kept in a pool in my living room for more years than I care to admit. Then found more info on how to keep these guys.
Now maybe I think I am very happy I never did do that impulse thought I had about the same time as the reptile show, where our local pet store had these little pieces of Ivory chess pieces (a baby sulcata!!) So climate has a influence now for me. Jack and his buddys Petey and Pinkly have it the best they can for living where I live. Half the year in, and half the year out.They seem so happy out, but this is their life.
My 2 ornates are now outside for 100 % of the time, This year is the first to be outside for the winter, we'll see how that goes.
Nice topic to discuss. But like Maggie said, we didn't always get a chance to 'think' first!
Nay

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hahaha. Was Mr. "Release them back into the wild" going to fly all the way to Kazakhstan? What a jackass! I'm sure glad you ended up with them instead. :)

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Tom said:
Okay stop rolling your eyes, all you cynics out there. No judgment or argument here. I just wanna know how other forum members feel about this.

With the right amount of time, trouble and expense, any species can survive and thrive anywhere on the planet. However, I usually keep practicality in mind when picking which species I want to keep. I am wondering how much YOUR climate influences your decision about which species you keep.

I'll start. For me, my climate is a very big influence in which species I choose to work with. Its very hot, sunny and dry here most of the year. I think its a great place for adult sulcatas, leopards and obviously, CDTs to live outside 24/7. I think its a great place for russians too, but the winters might be too warm and therefore require some refrigeration for hibernation. I don't think this is all that different than my outdoor adult sulcatas needing some night and winter heat. But this detail does start to creep into the realm of practicality for me. Another example: I love Manouria. I don't have much experience with them, but everything I have seen and heard makes me think I would love them. I, so far, have chosen not to get into them because once they are big adults and need to live outside, I think it is just too hot and dry here. I know it would be possible, but I would have to have indoor air conditioned quarters for them during the hot summer days, plus I would have to run misters, sprinklers and bend over backwards trying to keep enough lush greenery alive to create the right environment for them. My decision NOT to keep Manouria is mainly due to my climate.

For me, climate plays a big role in species selection. How about you? Remember this is just for the sake of some tortoise conversation...

Climate was not much of a consideration for me. My main issues were space and breeding considerations.

The northern California weather I'm in lends itself to a broad spectrum. We get weather in the 100's, fairly arid in the Summer. From Nov to early March, we get weather in the low 50's to low 60's with night time drops into the high 30's. One of the biggest challenges up here is that we get occasional warm fronts in the winter, and close to four inches of rain a month during the winter months. This can create challenges for outdoor hibernation. Several keepers have found their tortoises surfacing in the middle of January during a warm front, with these warm fronts usually bringing rain also. Tortoises have dug themselves out and exposed their burrows to water trickling in. So there really isn't a species that I can just leave outside and just feed once a day, without some type of special handling or providing specific conditions artificially.

Given my outdoor space, I could have gone with maybe a single sulcata or multiple pens with a few different species. For me personally, aside from the dogs and the cats, I enjoy breeding the animals that I keep. Being able to keep species in breeding groups was also a consideration.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fascinating answers. Very interesting hearing everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Climate is a big consideration for me at the moment, but may not be in the future. I say that because right now, I've gotta lotta stuff going on (work, cpa exams, baby on the way). I really don't have any extra time to spare, so I am currently working with what is easiest for me (leopards and stars) which thrive well in my type of environment naturally, so little help is needed from me.

As you know, I have raised all types of box turtles here in the desert. It is possible, but certainly a lot more work to get them set up. I enjoyed it a lot. I found the challenge rewarding, and I would really like to get back into it again. It's just a matter of freeing up some time to set up enclosures and the like. Once I have their habitats set up, it is little work after that.

So, I guess what I am saying is, a lot of it for me has to do with my ability and willingness to take on the challenge of housing species that do not thrive well in my environment. Time is the biggest obstacle for me in this hobby, and as of right now, I'm taking it easy.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have the land for them to roam and graze in spring and summer and I have the room to give them the individual micro-climates that they need inside for the winter. For me, climate was not a consideration but I was really sad when they came in for the winter. Sid really only has to stay in for 4 months and as the other two get bigger and hardier I hope it will be four months minimum for them too.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Quite late, but here's my thinking: I keep only species that came from climates similar to mine: T. ibera (natives); T.h. boettgeri (we have natives, but my own are from Greece, brought by various persons that eventually decided to sell them; Greece is quite close as a holiday destination and a good tortoise country, so... some return with a tortoise :(); T. horsfieldi.

I wish also to get some T. marginata- while they came only from milder areas comparing to my place, and they would need some extra protection if left outdoors here, they still are in the category of "similar climates"- temperate, but warmer. I read about some marginatas that escaped their owner's attention, got lost in the garden and brumating naturally, to be found happy and basking next Spring (west-European keepers, not remembering where). So, they hardy enough to require minimum of extra care, but they are the limit for me.
Western Hermanni- hmmm... let's say they are fascinating in variability, but not so attracted by that idea- maybe I didn't kept one in my hand yet :D? I am more inclined going East, to Turkey/Iran/Afghanistan/Tadjikistan, and the tortoises that I would meet on the way.

Of course, if possible, I would keep various locations from a species complex, if such crazy thing would be possible. Horsfields are so variable, even splitted in a few species/subspecies. Also, the Ibera complex- armeniaca, perses, zarudnyi etc., all from harsh climates, but each one different. Each ssp. no less than 2-3 pairs, each one its own pen.

I am kinda conservation- oriented. If I would have been other thing than a poor Romanian school/highschool teacher, meaning to be a little richer guy, I would have planned a breeding center for those temperate species, on a few hectares :rolleyes:...

Well, those are fantasies. Bottom line: I keep what live naturally in similar climates, or as closer as possible. Pretty all temperate species/subspecies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Climate was a consideration for me. If I have a warm/hot climate most of the year (AZ, FL, south TX, etc), I would have gotten into Sulcatas. Instead, I chose Redfoots since they grow to a more manageable size.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:

With the right amount of time, trouble and expense, any species can survive and thrive anywhere on the planet. However, I usually keep practicality in mind when picking which species I want to keep. I am wondering how much YOUR climate influences your decision about which species you keep...

Bump - Yep, for sure. Living out here in Colorado, I knew Testudo horsfieldii was the right tortoise species for me.

wildak

5 Year Member
Well living in Alaska the climate did'nt play too much of a part. I have months of long hot days in the summer. I recently bought a place with some acreage so I can build a large facility with outdoor seasonal yards and a greenhouse. I need to make the outdoor enclosures bear proof before I leave them unattended.

It's very dry here in the winters which would be fitting to some of the African Desert tortoises that people have issues with else where due to moisture. Such as Angulates (Bowsprit ) , maybe someday.

My Impressa do well since they seem to dislike the heat but I need to keep them wet. So it's 6 one way half dozen the other. Nothing is perfect for turtles or tortoises in AK.

I would like to build a few something similar to this with different micro climates.
galapagosindoorfacility.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And I would like to see you build something like that. When you say you have "hot" summers, just what temp are we talking about?

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well I very in advisably bought my first tortoise on a bit of a whim (I had always wanted one!) and had done no research and trusted what the shop said (not good!)
She was a Hermanns and after having her for 5 years she didn't survive hibernation during the winter.
So about 3 days later I went to get a new one where they only had Horsfields, I sat trying to make a decision for ages and decided that they would be better suited to the Scottish climate (but still didn't do research till I got home) I think I have learned from my mistakes though and have a much better set up now and the new little guy is doing really well (although I know I had got things wrong I think my Hermanns had been doing well, we think she dehydrated during hibernation)

Status
Not open for further replies.