Species suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebillan

5 Year Member
First of all, I live in Canada- near Toronto. So I would need a tortoise that would be able to spend around 1/3 - 1/2 of the year inside, as well as nights, aside from during the summertime (depending on what kind of year it is).
I really like the larger tortoises- but I need one that isn't so large that it can't be kept inside, or one that will keep a manageable size for the next couple of years while I finish college.
I don't think there's much else to say here- those are really my only requirements that I can think of.

Any help would be great, thanks!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Welcome to the forum! Wish I could help, but there are forum members that are way more qualified than I am to answer your questions.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
All I can say is if you don't want one that can't live inside then don't get a sulcata. Maybe a red foot.

Ebillan

5 Year Member
Hello, Anthony! Thank you c:

Redfoots are cute, and very affordable. Are they generally cheaper as babies?
How big of an enclosure is recommended? I've done a bit of research, but haven't found many specifics.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I reccomend a redfoot... adult enclosure about...6x4ft
Or bigger...(as big as you can go) they have great personality...and looks....
And theyre generally easy to feed as they have such a VARIED diet? :)Whre abouts near toronto...
im in UK but i have family in Ontario/Toronto area?

Ebillan

5 Year Member
tyler0912 said:
I reccomend a redfoot... adult enclosure about...6x4ft
Or bigger...(as big as you can go) they have great personality...and looks....
And theyre generally easy to feed as they have such a VARIED diet? :)Whre abouts near toronto...
im in UK but i have family in Ontario/Toronto area?

Do they grow quickly?
I'll have my own place in a few years, and I can build the enclosure as large as I would like then. But for now, space is a little restricted.
If they will need a large enclosure very quickly, I think I may have to wait to get one.
I love just forty five minutes from the city, in a place called Milton, and I go to school in Oakville~

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
cherylim said:
A Russian or a Hermann's?

Exactly...really, any of the Europeans (Greeks and Marginateds, too) are better for keeping outside in temperate zones.

Tropicals, like redfoots, yellowfoots, Stars, etc., would be tougher to keep outside that far north for much of the year.

Size for an adult (a baby is not recommended for a "starter tortoise, btw) is anywhere from 6" (male Iberian Greek, Hermann's or Russian) to just a little over a foot (female Marginated), depending on the species, so an enclosure of 4' X 6' will get you by for an inside enclosure (a bookshelf on it's back is easily utilized), but I'd go a bit larger for it's outside home.

Check out the "species specific" forums and you'll learn a lot, and so will be able to make an informed decision, Ebillian.

And, welcome to our Happy Little Slice Of Heaven. :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tyler0912 said:
mine is 6years old and 6inches long?
why not get a hatchling?

Hatchlings are much more delicate than even one that is 6 months old...and a mistake than a well-started tortoise can easily survive may kill a hatchling very quickly!

For a "starter tortoise", an older one (1 year +) is a much better idea. :tort:

Ebillan

5 Year Member
I just have a few concerns regarding box turtles.
I've seen them referred to as both 'turtles' and 'tortoises', though they're actually a genus of the former. Do they require a lot of water in their enclosure?
Second, I've read that they're easily stressed from being handled. Not that I will be handling it excessively, but I don't want to be stressing out the poor guy.
Third, they're omnivorous. So they would need to be fed insects or something like that on a regular basis, wouldn't they?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ebillan said:
I just have a few concerns regarding box turtles.
I've seen them referred to as both 'turtles' and 'tortoises', though they're actually a genus of the former. Do they require a lot of water in their enclosure?
Second, I've read that they're easily stressed from being handled. Not that I will be handling it excessively, but I don't want to be stressing out the poor guy.
Third, they're omnivorous. So they would need to be fed insects or something like that on a regular basis, wouldn't they?

No, they will get along fine with just a nice soaking dish (like any tortoise). Box turtles unlike true water turtles can eat on land.

This could be a no or a yes, depending on the turtle. Normally they learn to accept it and of course long term captives or even better, captive hatched ones usually have no problems.

Yes and how often regular is also depends on which type of box turtle you would get. They can eat other things like catfood, cooked (or raw) chicken and other lean meats, fish, eggs, and so on. So if you have problems with bugs, you can work around it. ;)

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I have 2 Amazon parrots, rescues both, and they are on pellet food with fresh or lightly steamed vegies. Cleo gets a few wet pellets, along with her fresh vegies, moisened dry cat food. Mostly the cat food and parrot pellets are offered because the smell is so stong it is like a dinner bell to her. Tomatoes were her other dinner bell, but she started eating them instead of other veggies.

She gets live worms, slugs and crickets because they love to climb into her pen. I also "grow" my own night crawlers for her. But you don't like live food so you can ignore this last part.

Ebillan

5 Year Member
I have no problem /with/ bugs, but I feel bad for them, so I prefer herbivorous pets xD

I may have to wait a few years though, it seems. I don't think I'll be able to convince my mother. We 'have too many pets', and she 'feels bad for things that are kept in enclosures'.
Gah. We have a bird who is afraid of us, and a cat with anxiety worse than mine (both because of the previous owners, mind you). I really just want an animal that I can chill with.
But maybe she'll change her mind. We'll see..

Status
Not open for further replies.