Speke's Hingeback babies Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
3 months old now, coloring up beautifully and putting on size.

The last picture is the adults in their enclosure...

Attachments

• Spek11-2011a.jpg
    Spek11-2011a.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Spek11-2011b.jpg
    Spek11-2011b.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Spek11-2011c.jpg
    Spek11-2011c.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 78
  • SpekPlastron11-2011.jpg
    SpekPlastron11-2011.jpg
    901.5 KB · Views: 109
  • SpekAdultEnclo.jpg
    SpekAdultEnclo.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 106

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They're so pretty! Quite colorful. I didn't realize there was so much difference between the Speke's and the Home's. I love babies!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your babies are just so different in coloring then mine. It's an old picture, but still about the same coloring. Really love the coloring your bunch produced. Can I see close up shots of the parents?

044-2-1.jpg

If you ever decide to sell them....:D

Weldd

10 Year Member!
It's funny Jacqui, there is so much variation in Speke adults that I have seen that it isn't very surprising to me that babies can vary wildly. I had a group of adults about 4 years ago and there were a few that look exactly like a big version of your baby. Sadly, as that group began to lay eggs I gave them away before a move. There were some real beauties in that group but most were not mature adults. The adults that produced my babies are not the prettiest Speke's I've ever seem. But I still love them. I take pictures of them and post soon...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would appreciate that. I have very limited experience with many Spekii and now just have the three, the pair being just too small still for reproducing. I am hoping in the spring, when the weather actually is warm enough to ship, to have money in hand to start searching for some to add to my breeding group. Seems fate loves to have them for sale, when I have no money to spend. :rolleyes: :(

Along with pictures, could you please do a weight and measurement? Trying to start a data base as to when all the hingebacks start reproducing. It's sorta a pet project, because we all seem so scattered with no real linking point for information sharing.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
"Along with pictures, could you please do a weight and measurement? Trying to start a data base as to when all the hingebacks start reproducing. It's sorta a pet project, because we all seem so scattered with no real linking point for information sharing."

Will do. My adults are some big monkeys. I didn't think they could get as these are...

Weldd said:
"Along with pictures, could you please do a weight and measurement? Trying to start a data base as to when all the hingebacks start reproducing. It's sorta a pet project, because we all seem so scattered with no real linking point for information sharing."

Will do. My adults are some big monkeys. I didn't think they could get as big as these are...

MatteoV

5 Year Member
Bologna - Italy
Congratulations, they are really cool!
I am always excited to see these extraordinary births!

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Thanks very much Matteo. Hopefully I have some success getting this seasons eggs to hatch!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do your babies all get along? Any rough nipping or anything?

Were they quick to start eating for you? What were their first foods?

Also, think positive, the eggs WILL hatch! I mean seriously, if I am going to have any chance in the spring of talking you out of one of these guys, your next eggs need to hatch. :D

Weldd

10 Year Member!
The babies get along just fine. I have some pretty deep sphagnum moss piled in one 1/2 of their tub. They burrow in and out. They all come running when the chow bell rings but otherwise they seem to ignore one another pretty much.

If the eggs do well, I'll save you one...no problem :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Weldd said:
If the eggs do well, I'll save you one...no problem :)

:D Be careful, I might hold you to it. :D

Comparing these to the Bells you just bought, what are you seeing? I know you have said the Bells are more shy. Plus are the two groups housed the same?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
The last Bell's I got is about as outgoing as any tortoise I have. She is always out and about.

The setups for the Bell's and the Speke's are identical. 4 x 6, cypress/topsoil, lots of hides and silk plants. The Speke's are starting to slow down now. They really do remind me of Pyxis tortoises. In a few more weeks, my Pyxis adults will have almost completely shut down. The Speke's decrease in activity is not as dramatic but they are considerably less active here over the winter.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Beautiful hatchlings. I see you keep their substrate pretty moist, is that in just one area or do you keep the substrate moist for the Speke's? Also, what ambient temperature do you maintain for the Speke's?

Thank you.
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.