Spekes Hingeback

Status
Not open for further replies.

allie223

5 Year Member
Hi! So if all goes as planned I think I will soon own a spekes hingeback and I just had a few questions for the experts. It seems as though information is very hard to come by, hence my questions :)
-What is the ideal humidity level for a Spekes? I know they are a savannah variety but what exactly does that mean in terms of humidity levels?
-Do they like light more than the Homes or Erosas, or do they prefer darkness? And, if so what kind of heat source do you reccomend?
- How does their diet vary from the other species of Hingebacks? Do you find that they prefer more fruit, veggies, or protein?
Thanks in advance for answering! I really appreciate any information I can find. :)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I have a book on South African tortoise and it touches on them, how there very adaptable and only some need high humidity, that they are omnivores and a little of there diet...

If you dont get any one else to help you, i know some one i can forward you to that lives in South Africa and runs a rescue, she is supper nice and has helped me with my Leopards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Allie:

We have a couple of hingeback people here on the forum. One of them drives truck with her husband and can't always get to the computer. If you give her some time, or maybe send a PM to Jacqui, I'm sure she'd be happy to talk to you about them. The other is redfootnerd (Terry Kilgore).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First off I want to make this statement, I have the least amount of experience working with the Speki hingebacks having had only a couple. Certainly not enough of them to be able to say what seems to hold for the majority of them. That cleared up...

I would label them, as some where between a Homes and a Bell. The Homes needing more humidity and hiding areas with less bright light. Keeping that in mind, you can read up on both Homes and Bells and work from there.

As with all hingebacks, be sure to provide them with a large water dish for soaking. I keep all my hingebacks on the coir (bed-a-beast) and playsand combo with one end also having the cypress mulch. Hides on both ends with plants too, to offer the feeling of security. I offer mine the choice of a shoplight with one of the long tube lights sold for kitchens, a CHE (ceramic heat emiter) and then a low wattage UV lights for a few hours too.

They eat the plants, the fruit, and the protein. Don't let them fixate on just the fruit, which is a common problem with hingebacks. It often takes extra work, but make sure you get these guys eating more a balanced variety. I will say this before Ed pops in and makes his pitch:D, you might want to also try a little Mazuri. This is in addition to, but not as a sole food.
Mushrooms, papaya, and earthworms are the favorite three for my Spek.

With the food and lighting espescially, I would do some experimenting and tweak it to what your tortoise(s) seem to do best with. I also sent you a PM about some more information you would enjoy reading, so check that too when you get a chance. :cool:

So is this an adult or youngster? One or more?

allie223

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the information! I was thinking of starting with one and then re-evaluating.

Status
Not open for further replies.