Speke's hingebacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Theturtlesource offered these for sale and they said the speke's are likely the most personable and heartiest of the hingebacks. It also said it's very easy to keep.

Are these statements true? I only know that hingebacks in general are more sensitive than other tortoises and husbandry will require some further steps.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can only speak from my limited experience with them (only about three- four years and just a couple of individuals). For me, they have neither been the easiest of the hingebacks nor the friendliest/most out going of the hingebacks. They may be considered "easier", just because they don't require the humidity that the Homes or Erosa do. Over all, they are much like the Bells.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Jacqui said:
I can only speak from my limited experience with them (only about three- four years and just a couple of individuals). For me, they have neither been the easiest of the hingebacks nor the friendliest/most out going of the hingebacks. They may be considered "easier", just because they don't require the humidity that the Homes or Erosa do. Over all, they are much like the Bells.

Thanks for the quick reply. Which one do you think (out of your experience) is the most personable of the hingebacks?

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I have one. He's very personable and "friendly" once he comes out of his hide.
I regularly hand feed him and he's very receptive. Great Torts IMO.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortoises101 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Which one do you think (out of your experience) is the most personable of the hingebacks?

My two most personable are Erosa. :D With hingebacks, I think it's so very much an individual thing. Some never seem to really come out of the shy stage while the next one becomes very outgoing. I think if I had to make a generalization, it would be the Homes who have a higher percent of individuals with very personable qualities. The Bells, however are the one group where none of them are shy, but they just lack a bit of the personalities of the Homes and the Erosa. Once more, this is just my own experience, no doubt others will have different ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.